Hw100 Kt Effective Range ??

I don't own an HW100 but any sub-12ft/lb .22 calibre rifle is as effective as the next.

It depends on a number of factors, largely to do with consistency.

How well can you repeat your best shooting posture, hold, breathing, holdover etc. All of which become an ever-increasing, influencing factor that increases with further and further ranges.

Then there's consistency of pellet from one to another. Consistency of air charge behind each and every shot. Consistent air, wind and breeze speeds. scope properly set and centered to your rifle's action without a whisker of cant over to one side. Everything becomes more crucial the further you start to push out the distances.

If everything is ticking along sweetly,( shooter especially), you should be able to group a tight cluster of at least 10 shots at 60 yards tops. Over that distance, things start to come apart a little to gain a true measure of your accuracy potential.

I regularly practice target shooting out to 50 metres as a bench mark. I've hit rabbits clean through the head at 70 metres and over 100 with my various rifles, especially my HW77 .22 which is sub-12 ft/lbs and HW80 which is on ticket at over 20ft/lbs. Both rifles have been tuned by an expert gunsmith who knows his nuts. But these extreme-range shots are an exception on absolutely windless days; not a norm; even with an FAC air rifle.

Be practical in your expectations and approach to long range shooting with an air rifle. Practice grouping on paper targets at 50 yards or 50 metres. After a good week or more of this, 25 to 40 yard hunting ranges, which are more commonly found, will be much more easy to shoot effectively within your grasp.

It's the short-range rabbits you will be more likely to miss as, the higher setting on your scope zero range for elevation plays against you at short ranges in calculating holdover- Not 'hold under' as some might think. Your shot will likely hit the ground before it hits the head of a rabbit, as the pellet's initial flightpath has not yet risen into the crosshair at zero ranges at great distances.

Effective hunting with a 12 ft/lb .22 air rifle is about using your skill in fieldcraft to get yourself to within comfortable striking distances of 15-20 to 45 yards/metre ranges. And adjusting your shooting to take out opportunity shots on sitting pigeons and corvids at higher elevations in trees over ground. Not trying to go picking them all off at 50-plus on nice, flat trajectories every time.

But, if long range rabbit shooting is what you really are after, get an FAC; nothing beats a nicely set-up .22 LR or .17HMR. And these cost a great deal less than an HW100. ;)

Simon

• Like 10

Love how piano man gives such details in his replies... Bloody ell, we should compile a HL book... :) a reservoir of knowledge indeed.

Basically, the range you can put all your shots within an inch.

• Like 1

Hi dommorris92/ all,

I use the HW 100 kt .177 cal for 80% of my air rifle shooting.At 25 yds on a still day i will hit pellet on pellet and try to stay within 30 yds range using all the little tricks in fieldcraft i have learned over the last 45 years or so.

I will take long shots only if i have no other choice and draw the line at 50 yds Headshot Only.

The greatest "kick" i get from airgunning is to use fieldcraft,study what your after and then the long awaited moment you catch them out at "short range" when you are completely camo`d up. :yes:

As long as you know your milldots .22 cal is easily capable of pellet on pellet at all ranges to 50 yds (for me) and probably more'

atb

Edited by mark williams
  • Like 2

Hi dommorris92/ all,

I use the HW 100 kt .177 cal for 80% of my air rifle shooting.At 25 yds on a still day i will hit pellet on pellet and try to stay within 30 yds range using all the little tricks in fieldcraft i have learned over the last 45 years or so.

I will take long shots only if i have no other choice and draw the line at 50 yds Headshot Only.

The greatest "kick" i get from airgunning is to use fieldcraft,study what your after and then the long awaited moment you catch them out at "short range" when you are completely camo`d up. :yes:

As long as you know your milldots .22 cal is easily capable of pellet on pellet at all ranges to 50 yds (for me) and probably more'

atb

This post should be a sticky on every shooting forum in the country. Bravo this man.

• Thanks 1