Hi lads, a pal of mines dog has just got this. Has anyone dealt with this before? The dog has gone through various treatment and went up to Hertfordshire for treatment. She's home now and has to have steroids and pain killers. Just wondering has anyone dealt with this before? And what was their outcome thanks a lot

I had a Saluki with Immune mediated polyarthritis. She doesn't need to be put down but does require careful monitoring.

My dog also required another drug called Azothioprine. Normally you start the drugs at a high level and very very slowly wean them

off, hoping the dogs immune system works normally and stops attacking the dogs own body. Dogs do go into remission but it can flare up again.

Sorry to hear this, autoimmune conditions seem to becoming more common in dogs. I think it is down to breeding, in breeding, line breeding. People really do need to look at what they are breeding as so many dogs are suffering.

Yes she dropped a lot of weight. I am not surprised his dog is a saluki. Autoimmune diseases are a problem in salukis from what I have seen.

I recommend your friend asks for a referral to an internal medicine vet as this conditions needs careful management and

general vets do not have enough experience with these conditions. I take it the vet made this diagnosis through join taps?

• 2 weeks later...

It’s commonly 2nd to a gastrointestinal infection such as salmonella which causes the immune system to go haywire. I’d look to what they’re feeding in the first instance and see how it does on the steroids etcetera. Have an open frank discussion with the vet as the disease process goes on for better or not.

Hope it settles

Lots of info here

http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/recognizing-and-treating-immune-mediated-polyarthritis-dogs?id=&sk=&date=&%0A%09%09%09&pageID=6

bit more general here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactive_arthritis

Edited by sandymere

Yeah you're right about the general vets they didn't have a clue! She [bANNED TEXT] up to the royal vet college and that's where the diagnosis was made pal! What was your steps of getting weight back on the dog?

My salukis also had Inflammatory Bowel Disease. I know a lot of people help these foods but I am sure it saved her life. She was on Royal Canin Sensitivity control. http://about.royalcanin.co.uk/catalogue/canine-veterinary-diet/sensitivity-control-sc-2123727/ How is the dog doing?