Best Non Saluki Coursing Dogs Of The Past

Yes maybe not as keen as I was in my 20s when at 3 in the morning you were still saying "just one more field"but can still give a dog enough to do it justice ......Tig is still alive a bit battered n worn and his feet wouldnt last another season as you would expect ... although retired but he doesnt know it yet im not looking forward to his reaction this season seeing the other big dogs getting out hes put out to stud theres a litter on the ground at the moment out of a decent bitch in Leeds he seems to produce decent stuff he will be given an easy life now inside in fron t of the fire this winter ....Ive still got a bitch out of him that has some pace and wind and a youngster out of him that will start when im back that I dont think ive been looking forward to seeing a young dog go than this one .

Heres the young dog at about 9-10 months

attachicon.gifIMG_0466.JPG

None of these dog deserve to be in a best coursing thread but just answering your questions Max :thumbs:

Are you putting out to stud mik?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This one did ok corridore,,,won the windmill double handed cup in 2003,,, and came runner up the year after,,,,she was whippet,grey x deer,grey...   Here's a few pics of her,,,there's one or two lad

Here's Sally again     Here's max having his pic took with the dog Captin..     Here's a days coursing I organised on an estate I had permission on  

The Best bit irks my sensitive soul,running dogs seldom needed to be the best to fill the bag,all they needed to be was capable.There were a multitude of capable dogs,often pedigree unknown that had a

Posted Images

Clive had a collie cross that's on vid killing hares,,,but I don't know the percentage of collie in the mix

Tomo . . . Did you ever see that Collie x Grey that Brian Ellis owned, a bitch called Fly run. He was into his coursing, and I was told she performed well on them too ?

Congrat's to the both of you aswell on the forthcoming new member to the Tomo household :thumbs:

Yes maybe not as keen as I was in my 20s when at 3 in the morning you were still saying "just one more field"but can still give a dog enough to do it justice ......Tig is still alive a bit battered n worn and his feet wouldnt last another season as you would expect ... although retired but he doesnt know it yet im not looking forward to his reaction this season seeing the other big dogs getting out hes put out to stud theres a litter on the ground at the moment out of a decent bitch in Leeds he seems to produce decent stuff he will be given an easy life now inside in fron t of the fire this winter ....Ive still got a bitch out of him that has some pace and wind and a youngster out of him that will start when im back that I dont think ive been looking forward to seeing a young dog go than this one .

Heres the young dog at about 9-10 months

attachicon.gifIMG_0466.JPG

None of these dog deserve to be in a best coursing thread but just answering your questions Max :thumbs:

Are you putting out to stud mik?

Dogs been put out a few times now ...some very good stuff going about and some still to proove there worth

Clive had a collie cross that's on vid killing hares,,,but I don't know the percentage of collie in the mix

Tomo . . . Did you ever see that Collie x Grey that Brian Ellis owned, a bitch called Fly run. He was into his coursing, and I was told she performed well on them too ?

Congrat's to the both of you aswell on the forthcoming new member to the Tomo household :thumbs:

No mate,,,only ever herd about it...

Thanks for all the good wishes gents

id love to get my hands on a proper courseing greyhound. absuletly stunning dogs. and a good bench mark to get the right breeding going. never see many about these days tho. every1 seems to just use crosses or track greyhounds/origins unkown around my way. i know this is not intierly related to this thread but thought id say anyhow

• 3 weeks later...

Brian Ellis, had a fantastic bitch called Fly, she was a first cross fell collie greyhound bred by my old pal, the late Typp Ratcher, by all accounts this was a special bitch especially because she didn,t have any saluki blood in her, she won alot of matches by all accounts. regards collie john.

The Coursing Greyhounds of today are for the Best Part to Big and Heavy

It's more a test of strait line speed and nothing to do with Coursing nowadays

IMHO the Best way to go is to use a well bred

Staying or Marathon greyhound dog or Bitch that was top open / Competition class on the track.

I'd still go for the coursing blood Max but English if there's any pure English left.

Your right in that the Irish lines can be massive as they're bred for park coursing but a lot of todays trackers don't chase. Yes they're fast but a lot of them are not putting it in. Some lads blame the introduction of Australian blood.

Personally I always admired the smaller English type coursing greyhound that was more suited to open coursing.

If a track greyhound won't chase a rabbit obviously it's not worth using to breed a lurcher

But not many trackers wouldn't chase a live rabbit I'd say

Just my opinion but Coursing stock is just to large

Even the English Coursing Greyhound Stock went this way IMO from the mid. 90's

Like I say go for a Staying/Marathon greyhound dog or bitch that was Top Open Class on the track

As they won't loose you wind in future offspring.

bannerman of here used both to the same saluki dog an his opinion was the staying track bitch produced better pups
  • Like 1

best non saluki i saw was a a bitch called lana a collie type , and as for useing staying greyhounds it works real well been tried and tested to get good fast saluki lurchers saw greyhound whippets stay and when bred to good saluki types stil thru wind to the pups,,