My Terrier Attacked By 2 Staffs

What purpose does any pet dog with a background as a worker have ?..............What use is a retriever if not to retrieve,a hound if not to catch..........should Bull Terriers as a breed be exterminated then because its background doesnt fit in with todays society ?

I get what you are saying and i agree very few work/sport based dogs have a purpose in todays times but like i say my theory is due to the way Bull Terrier breeds are being bred with no aim or function within 100 years they will cease to be looked at as a working/sporting dog and therefore fit in with every other pet dog bred without a purpose.....at the moment they still retain a little tiny bit of that heritage and thats what makes them tricky. :thumbs:

• Like 2

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Each to their own but dont sit right with me that.........not sure i could call for a dogs death just because its owner f****d up.

Putting down a Stafford for attacking a dog is sort of like culling a greyhound because it wanted to run. That said most are so far away from working dogs I'm not sure that can be used. Owner knew the

Come on mate you are a dog owner on a hunting forum.........................thats the sort of shit id expect to read in the News of the World !

Dogs fight yes....this wasn't a fight though was it. Could have just as easily turned on my old dear.

Come on mate you are a dog owner on a hunting forum.........................thats the sort of shit id expect to read in the News of the World !

:yes:

What purpose does any pet dog with a background as a worker have ?..............What use is a retriever if not to retrieve,a hound if not to catch..........should Bull Terriers as a breed be exterminated then because its background doesnt fit in with todays society ?

I get what you are saying and i agree very few work/sport based dogs have a purpose in todays times but like i say my theory is due to the way Bull Terrier breeds are being bred with no aim or function within 100 years they will cease to be looked at as a working/sporting dog and therefore fit in with every other pet dog bred without a purpose.....at the moment they still retain a little tiny bit of that heritage and thats what makes them tricky. :thumbs:

Yep fair one. :thumbs:

I know springers aren't everyone's cup of tea either it's just I struggle to see past the aggressiveness and all the reported media attacks don't help either.

I wouldn't want any breeds banned but I would strongly support a regulation or licensing arrangement to help prevent idiots who haven't a clue how to handle these breeds getting hold of them

I write this admittedly with very little knowledge of the breed so I'm keen not to over generalise as I'm sure owners of staffs etc care for their dogs just as much as I mine.

• Like 1

I know springers aren't everyone's cup of tea either it's just I struggle to see past the aggressiveness and all the reported media attacks don't help either.

I wouldn't want any breeds banned but I would strongly support a regulation or licensing arrangement to help prevent idiots who haven't a clue how to handle these breeds getting hold of them

I write this admittedly with very little knowledge of the breed so I'm keen not to over generalise as I'm sure owners of staffs etc care for their dogs just as much as I mine.

fair point mate, I was bought up with bull breeds =bullmastiffs,pits, staffs the bullterriers etc. were only walked by my old man always on a lead ,and kept in kennl+runs and my old man knew what there were like so never took any chances with them. And as my young dog Buck nothing like them in temp, so prob been more relaxed with off the lead, but what been said on here ,I will hold him back bit more as like been said any dog can turn nasty any day, you never can trust any dog 100%, spot on Gnash good thread :thumbs:

• Like 1

Yep I get that, Im just trying to understand, what do bull breads give an owner? For example my springer is a working dog and a family pet he helps me find, flush and retrieve game and then after loves playing with my kids in the park, I know its stupid to wrap them up in one statement but if these breeds have been brought about for fighting purposes what use are they now?

As I said I know Im biased because of my bad experience but they don't have a great reputation as far as aggression to other dogs/people, I just can't understand why anyone would want to own a dog that has these in built aggressive traits unless it was to be used for professional guarding purposes.

They make good pets? Maybe people like their playful and affectionate nature, and you can exercise them into fit strong dogs. I've got the same frame of mind as you regarding gun dogs, I don't see the point in having them unless you're planning on working them but I hear they can also make good pets.

Edited by C556

and assuring him that one way or another them dogs are gunna get killed.

Each to their own but dont sit right with me that.........not sure i could call for a dogs death just because its owner f****d up.

are you serious? the dog needs pts if it's attacking dogs or people ,wether the owner f****d up or not it's still a dangerous dog.

A dog got ragged up a bit by a Staff its hardly the devil dog from hell is it.........crossing the road is dangerous if you do it badly you still go out dont you ?

and assuring him that one way or another them dogs are gunna get killed.

are you serious? the dog needs pts if it's attacking dogs or people ,wether the owner f****d up or not it's still a dangerous dog.

A dog got ragged up a bit by a Staff its hardly the devil dog from hell is it.........crossing the road is dangerous if you do it badly you still go out dont you ?

i wont keep dog agressive dogs and i certainly wouldn't pass one on,so what do you suggest i do with one if i ever i have this problem?atb at.

Do whatever you like with it....dogs are property do as you like with your own property.

Some people put a lot of time and consideration into bringing a dog on, me pal had a little russel nappered in his living room by a pit creation, which had took the opportunity to wander down the hall when a door was left ajar. He had a lot of time invested in it, it would share some brekkie with his daughter and the family budgie, a belter. The Russell was never the same again, listening to the daughter cry was horriffic. Iwont repeat on here how he returned the compliment but in his defence he did tell me 'i put him on yella Trim, 3 weeks ago when it was leadless in the street, 5 witnesses to support me, on a yella our kid, dont look at me like that'.

Dogs fight yes....this wasn't a fight though was it. Could have just as easily turned on my old dear.

:yes:
Exactly what a load of crap that's the trouble these days everything got to be wrapped in cotton wool the dogs alive no one got hurt the mans paying the vet bill grow a pair and forget it
  • Like 1

At least he's taking responsibilty for his dogs, even if they've been allowed to rule his roost. Hope your terrier gets sorted.

I think it's the american pit owners club handbook that recommends placing a finger up the aggressors arse, I may be wrong so google it before you apply it, lol. The thing is, if they aren't in control of their dogs in the first instance they're unlikely to know how to break them up or how to prevent it happening again. I guess a lot of these dogs have no other outlet for their prey drive and it must be near impossible to stop once they've got a taste for it. It is incredible how little good information is commonly available to perspective pet owners and how few of them would take it up in he first place, I can see some of the husky/malumutes making the headlines soon enough.

It works :yes::tongue2: ...ive done it twice with terriers lock onto each other :icon_eek:

fair point mate, I was bought up with bull breeds =bullmastiffs,pits, staffs the bullterriers etc. were only walked by my old man always on a lead ,and kept in kennl+runs and my old man knew what there were like so never took any chances with them. And as my young dog Buck nothing like them in temp, so prob been more relaxed with off the lead, but what been said on here ,I will hold him back bit more as like been said any dog can turn nasty any day, you never can trust any dog 100%, spot on Gnash good thread :thumbs:

I think you do need to be careful with him ray.

My old man has got a Doberman Bitch, if he was walking her (always on a lead) and a big lad like buck came bouncing over into her space then she would bite him, no doubts about it. As said above it could go one of 2 ways. Neither would be a good result for you. Buck gets a pasting and results in him being nervous/aggressive in future. Or he retaliates and ends up mauling another dog which is on a lead and under control.

Better safe than sorry.

Doesn't matter what size the dog is, or if it is friendly, everyone out with a dog in public has a responsibility to ensure it does not go charging up to other dogs or people who don't know whether or not the dog has something nasty planned. Most people can't read dogs at all, so anything running towards them seems a threat. The fact that different types of dogs exhibit differing behaviour also means that dogs that are of a different breed may not recognise a particular animal's intentions. Misunderstandings between dogs happen all the time due to this.

For example, the Collie that freezes and lies down when it sees your dog coming may be planning an aggressive move, but it may also be frightened, or it could even be a prelude to play ... only when you know the dog well can you see what is going on in its head.

Anyone who has a large dog needs to be aware of just how intimidating it can be to someone who doesn't know it.