My Terrier Attacked By 2 Staffs

All I can say is that I must have been very very lucky with my old staff, but then when out walking he was always on a lead, being controlled. When I used to exercise him, he would stay on the lead until I deemed it OK to release him. This was not because he was aggressive, but because other owners would let their dogs do as they pleased, and NO dog is 100% predictable. If an unleashed dog started to head towards mine, I would call mine back to the lead and shout to the owners to call thier dog. Had a few rows with irresponsible owners.

suppose I am guilty really with my 2 dogs, Buck my young dog loves people +dogs, he just loves to play with them , so i let him off the lead to mix with other dogs. Don't get wrong if somebody had a dog on the lead, i would keep mine back and its my other dog might be bit funny and even then he not a dog to start a fight. my wife don't agree with me and thinks i should not loose him of the lead with other dogs, because of his size+strenght if he did kick off he be very hard to stop , she might be right.But he 2 year old and never shown any aggression to any dog or person, so why should he change now,? if he was going to be nasty it would have shown well before now . :yes:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Each to their own but dont sit right with me that.........not sure i could call for a dogs death just because its owner f****d up.

Putting down a Stafford for attacking a dog is sort of like culling a greyhound because it wanted to run. That said most are so far away from working dogs I'm not sure that can be used. Owner knew the

Come on mate you are a dog owner on a hunting forum.........................thats the sort of shit id expect to read in the News of the World !

and assuring him that one way or another them dogs are gunna get killed.

Each to their own but dont sit right with me that.........not sure i could call for a dogs death just because its owner f****d up.

I agree he's paying the bill the dogs shouldn't be killed dogs fight that's life

Dogs fight yes....this wasn't a fight though was it. Could have just as easily turned on my old dear. it also could have been any other breed, I'm not stigmatising bull breeds at all, i love them.

Dogs healing fine...back to her usual self, just with a lot of holes in her back and legs.

All I can say is that I must have been very very lucky with my old staff, but then when out walking he was always on a lead, being controlled. When I used to exercise him, he would stay on the lead until I deemed it OK to release him. This was not because he was aggressive, but because other owners would let their dogs do as they pleased, and NO dog is 100% predictable. If an unleashed dog started to head towards mine, I would call mine back to the lead and shout to the owners to call thier dog. Had a few rows with irresponsible owners.

suppose I am guilty really with my 2 dogs, Buck my young dog loves people +dogs, he just loves to play with them , so i let him off the lead to mix with other dogs. Don't get wrong if somebody had a dog on the lead, i would keep mine back and its my other dog might be bit funny and even then he not a dog to start a fight. my wife don't agree with me and thinks i should not loose him of the lead with other dogs, because of his size+strenght if he did kick off he be very hard to stop , she might be right.But he 2 year old and never shown any aggression to any dog or person, so why should he change now,? if he was going to be nasty it would have shown well before now . :yes:

At 2 years he's probably OK, but I noticed at an early age with mine that he would raise his hackles if a bigger dog came over and tried to be dominant over him, he was OK with smaller dogs, even got attacked by one and just rolled it over and pinned it down, no teeth used. He also used to turn and face any dog who stuck a snotty nose up his arse.

Would have liked a few more years with him but Cushings took him aged 8, superb companion.

Put yourself in the other persons shoes would you want a lump of a dog coming towards you off the lead

fair point mate, you prob right :thumbs: he is big lump of a dog ,and prob put most people off with dogs or not with his size , it just he daft as brush and friendly with peope+dogs that i didnt put him on the lead befoe,but suppose he might change his temp as he becomes older, and might not be so soft as he is now.?

Put yourself in the other persons shoes would you want a lump of a dog coming towards you off the lead

fair point mate, you prob right :thumbs: he is big lump of a dog ,and prob put most people off with dogs or not with his size , it just he daft as brush and friendly with peope+dogs that i didnt put him on the lead befoe,but suppose he might change his temp as he becomes older, and might not be so soft as he is now.?

You may have missed the point Bird, if your playful dog runs over to another dog..and it's fighter then it could go tits up, that's tits-up whether victor or vanquished cause neither of those results will make your dog any steadier.

Always ideal to carry something sturdy enough to put a stop to any messing about. You gave to round here, there are loads of mental dogs!

Some bull types will just bite harder the more you thrash them. doesn't matter how sturdy the stick or whatever. A good knowledge of how to break a bull breed off, helps a whole lot. Sad i know but the amount of bull types floating about now means at some time or other you are going to come into some sort of contact. A second or 2 is all it should really take and thus saves one hell of a vet bill. :thumbs:

Edited to add...i hope your Mother is ok mate and not too distressed about the whole thing and hope the tyke makes a speedy recovery

With all these dumb chavs and ignorant folk who own the bull breeds,has got to thinking 30yrs back when i kept the APBT i never went anywhere without a break stick even though my dogs were never let off in public areas, thinking i may just make another couple takes nothing to carry one but worth their weight in gold if you ever need to use one, can break any staff or pit within no time with one. Could actually save some folk a few quid in vet bills, room for thought gents

• Like 1

You may have missed the point Bird, if your playful dog runs over to another dog..and it's fighter then it could go tits up, that's tits-up whether victor or vanquished cause neither of those results will make your dog any steadier.

yeh you right , will hold him back more as you say just incase anything did happen, and if he did spark up with another dog he be a nightmare with his size+power . i had lurcher bitch years ago had kelpie in its make up, and she twat for fighting had muzzle her out in public , she was only 23in 50lb and a handful strong dog, so god knows what Buck would be like if was like her in temp , thank feck he not . :thumbs:

yeh you right , will hold him back more as you say just incase anything did happen, and if he did spark up with another dog he be a nightmare with his size+power . i had lurcher bitch years ago had kelpie in its make up, and she twat for fighting had muzzle her out in public , she was only 23in 50lb and a handful strong dog, so god knows what Buck would be like if was like her in temp , thank feck he not . :thumbs:

You can train/run/play every-tript-out trick in the book with a dog on a light 12ft training lead and because of the slack you can chat the animal in close to ya kidding it's been done from it's own volition or else simply allow the longer lead to trail free when nobody is around (there are no hidden fees involved in keeping the lead attached) and still be providing you with a 12ft+arm length allowance. Me pal always asks owners who allow thier dogs to get well out infront of them if they have ever had thier feet run over..guess what they say (they'd do well on here) 'what do ya mean'.

Dogs fight yes....this wasn't a fight though was it. Could have just as easily turned on my old dear.

Come on mate you are a dog owner on a hunting forum.........................thats the sort of shit id expect to read in the News of the World !

• Like 3

I don't get it, its no secret Im no fan of bull type breeds, I wouldn't want a dog that I had to be in constant fear of it going off on one and having to carry a break stick with me just inn case....

I know ANY dog can have a nasty trait and can turn, but it seems to me its an expected (and in some instances accepted) trait of these dogs.

I have a springer which I work frequently although I would never trust him 100% I would put my house on it that he'd never attack another dog or person. My love for the bull breads wasnt enhanced when my dog had an uncontrolled stuffy hanging off its neck trying to rip its throat out a couple of years ago. The stupid female owner desperately trying to assure me "her dog had never don't that before"

Each to their own I guess

ATB

I don't get it, its no secret Im no fan of bull type breeds, I wouldn't want a dog that I had to be in constant fear of it going off on one and having to carry a break stick with me just inn case....

I know ANY dog can have a nasty trait and can turn, but it seems to me its an expected (and in some instances accepted) trait of these dogs.

I have a springer which I work frequently although I would never trust him 100% I would put my house on it that he'd never attack another dog or person. My love for the bull breads wasnt enhanced when my dog had an uncontrolled stuffy hanging off its neck trying to rip its throat out a couple of years ago. The stupid female owner desperately trying to assure me "her dog had never don't that before"

ATB

Plenty of dog breeds have what are seen as undesireable traits in modern society.......should none of them be kept as pet dogs ?.........My theory is the way things are going with Bull Terrier breeds there will be no threat from them at all aggression wise in 100 years time just like there wasnt 100 years ago.......we just happen to be living in the cross over era where they are neither here nor there.

ATB

Plenty of dog breeds have what are seen as undesireable traits in modern society.......should none of them be kept as pet dogs ?.........My theory is the way things are going with Bull Terrier breeds there will be no threat from them at all aggression wise in 100 years time just like there wasnt 100 years ago.......we just happen to be living in the cross over era where they are neither here nor there.

Yep I get that, Im just trying to understand, what do bull breads give an owner? For example my springer is a working dog and a family pet he helps me find, flush and retrieve game and then after loves playing with my kids in the park, I know its stupid to wrap them up in one statement but if these breeds have been brought about for fighting purposes what use are they now?

As I said I know Im biased because of my bad experience but they don't have a great reputation as far as aggression to other dogs/people, I just can't understand why anyone would want to own a dog that has these in built aggressive traits unless it was to be used for professional guarding purposes.