Help On Training To Retreive

I have a ess bitch 2 year old and would love to get her out beating this season, whether it be working her or just on the lead this season. She has a very good hunt drive, brushing out any bird, rabbit in her way. She comes and sits at my feet on command and walks to heel but the only problem I have is her actually retrieving. She'll run and pick the dummy, bird or rabbit up but won't actual retreive. When I call her back she will leave it and come sit to feet or sometimes lay down playing with it. Can anyone give me some advice of how I can learn myself and her to retrieve?

when she leaves it keepwalking towards it and stoping and tell her to fetch it even if you get right up to it , if you do get up to it and she didn't pick it up you pick it up and through it out and start again ,, after a while it will click to her what you want her to do , and when she does fetch it to you give her a good fuss.

• 3 weeks later...

That's usually caused by loss in confidence someone shouting when she didn't do it right, so she not sure what to do,

If it was me I would play a few games and ignore retrieving get a dummy throw it send her and run around a bit, let her carry it when she drops it run and kick it let her carry it but in this game do not take it off her let her keep it. When she comes back make a fuss but don't touch it, then when she drops it kick it again. What this does it puts fun back you can even do it in the house let her establish a it's mine.

Then after a week or so then and only then take it gently praise her and give it back.

• Like 1