Raw tripe is full of bacteria, campylobacter, E coli, salmonella and many more, ALWAYS cook raw food for pups.

Campylobacter even gives a false positive test for parvo.

Be very careful when feeding pups

:blink: Eh? I've always fed raw meat to pups and never had a problem. If you've had a problem feeding raw to pups then it must have been a very unfortunate instance, one which no one could avoid, such as a dodgy immune system in the pup, or maybe an underlying defect, or just plain bad luck and an overload of a certain bacteria combined with a viral infection.

One can never say anything in life is 100% safe, but I'd sooner feed pups raw than cooked, as dogs are designed to digest raw,which is the best possible food for pups. And I'd definitely warn anyone against cooking tripe: the smell can kill at a hundred paces :laugh: and would remain in your house for weeks afterwards!

• Like 2

Raw tripe is full of bacteria, campylobacter, E coli, salmonella and many more, ALWAYS cook raw food for pups.

Campylobacter even gives a false positive test for parvo.

Be very careful when feeding pups

I have always fed raw meat to pups from weaning to adulthood without any problems whatsoever ... Dogs have a far more acidic stomach than humans which means they can cope with raw meat easily ......

Patterdale pups three weeks old on raw meat .........

Picture020.jpg

• Like 2

I feed mine mince meat from supermarket u can get it close to goin past the sellby date so it's cheep,, dry biscuits and table scraps they loved it always had a black shiney coat never liked the look of feeding tripe to my pups or dogs as it stinks of Shit and genraly looks dirty ,,, Salford black dog I've got a address for a mam not to far from you who got a chicken factory nocks boxes up for the dogs cheep

All I can say is you've all been lucky.

Your right of course, a dog is designed to eat raw meat, a pup on the other hand gets it's meat either from it's mother partially digested or fresh from the kill, not flesh going over it's sell by date or flesh given in the morning and left with them.

Best of luck with your pup

There is no luck involved my pups get fresh raw meat and I never leave meat down all day with pups that's bad husbandry ... What they don't eat gets lifted and given to the adult dogs as a treat ........

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

A quick reply to the perennial forum question “what’s the best food for my dog/pup?”.

This will usually be answered in a variety of ways depending on the preferences of the posters rather than any real evidence. One of the commonest themes will be raw meat based on the assumption it’s the natural diet of dogs. Any questions that posters raise as to balance will be countered by the naturalistic gambit whilst worries about bacterial contamination will be met with erroneous claims about dog’s stomachs being able to destroy all bacteria. (1 & 4 ) These will be backed up by anecdotal stories about pups thriving and adult’s undergoing miraculous improvements in condition! ( 2 ) Alas if only it was so simple meat is good food but it’s not a perfect diet on its own and meat that is heavily contaminated with bacteria, or even lightly contaminated with certain bacteria, is never going to be a healthy choice. Perhaps a better call would be to quality of ingredients rather than some appeal to nature or naturalistic fallacy ( 3 ) and within this meat has its place. So meat is a good basis and if cooked or taken from a good quality source is likely to carry little harmful bacteria so can be mixed with appropriate carbs/vegetable sources to create a home made balanced diet. Then there’s completes, in the main these give a reasonable balanced nutrition with very low bacterial contamination and can be used to create a diet that has been successfully used by millions for many years. Personally I walk the middle path using a complete along with meat, veg etc.

Basically the idea of a “natural” diet for dogs is simplistic; their ancestors likely ate a variety of diets determined by whatever they could get dependent on where they lived, time of year etc, so it would be pretty difficult to feed as we don’t actually know what the ancestor of the dogs ate. All we have are vestigial remnants of wolves in the original areas that likely live very different lives from their ancestors. Plus the fact that today’s plants and animals have been drastically altered by selective breeding. Then arguments that they should eat what they evolved to eat are undercut by three facts: one they have continued to evolve since domestication (increased ability to utilize carbs is one of many examples), two they like their human counterparts have evolved to be adaptable and to thrive on a wide variety of dietary intakes; and lastly we evolved to have the survival advantage of intelligence and inventiveness to develop technology to improve our and so their access to food, cooking being a prime example. In other words, technology is “natural” for humans and so their domestic partners and eating in a variety of ways is natural too. If their and our ancestors had been less adaptable and if there was a single healthy diet, the human/dog partnership could not have spread to new continents or survived the multiple changes of lifestyle, environment and climate they have surmounted.

So in conclusion science hasn’t found a single healthiest way to eat for man or dog, but does suggest there is no perfect diet rather that dogs and humans thrive on a variety of diets. Adaptability is the hallmark of dog and man as eaters so many diets are good, none perfect. There are a few basic principles such as improved performance when fed a mixture of the three food groups balanced to suit the individual’s lifestyle but in general using balanced amounts of decent ingredients, either home made or in the form of a decent complete, at appropriate intervals should do the job.

Evidence

(1) http://www.nature.com/news/1998/981015/full/news981015-6.html

(2) http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/17_9/features/Your-dog-and-the-placebo-effect_21039-1.html

(3) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_nature

(4) http://jmm.sgmjournals.org/content/55/9/1265.full

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

All I can say is you've all been lucky.

Your right of course, a dog is designed to eat raw meat, a pup on the other hand gets it's meat either from it's mother partially digested or fresh from the kill, not flesh going over it's sell by date or flesh given in the morning and left with them.

Best of luck with your pup

Who mentioned flesh going over it's sell by date or left out all day? That would be poor on the owners part and of course could cause health problems but that's no reason to tell people not to feed raw.

My pup was getting a whole host of raw meat, bone, offal and tripe at 6 weeks old with no ill effects. And I don't think luck had anything to do with it.