Best Dog For Ferreting

Up to date i cant use a running dog on the permissions i have so its up to the terrier.Good marker holds in the net without damage.Certainly not a dog for bolters and in cold wet weather the dogs coat is next to useless. Temperament spot on. If i had a choice a collie lurcher would be my pick.

ferretingpics598_zps8d891f67.jpg

Edited by darbo
  • Like 3

Same here you feel half dressed going with out a dog the lurchers 8 past and while still a great marking dog crunches all she gets now . but i would still take the lab or spanniel as they still mark the inhabited burrows and folk that dont allow lurchers dont seem to mind them for some reason

These are the best two I've had to date, the beddy whippet is more consistent marking wise and it doesn't matter if the bunny is netted in the thickest of brambles she's on it in a flash the collie grey is quieter around the set more delicate with netted bunnies and better at picking up any that miss the nets, both have pros and cons but together are a cracking team

post-91286-0-81335600-1409034201.jpg

post-91286-0-50571200-1409034215.jpg

• Like 5

I wanted a small whippet cross for ferreting so I went for colly gray saluki whippet he's now 14 month and just under 21tts and I think I made the right move on him

And my little grafter is a jackrussel bitch Molly (yes she's fat but that's down to getting spaded )post-74118-0-11693700-1409075122.jpg

She's a cracking little grafter but at the end of the day they are pets first and foremost the working side is only with me nether will hunt unless I'm there the misses and my two lads (18 14 ) have tried but they are not interested but when we all go for a walk it's nose to ground and hunt regardless

• Like 1

I wanted a small whippet cross for ferreting so I went for colly gray saluki whippet he's now 14 month and just under 21tts image.jpg and I think I made the right move on him

And my little grafter is a jackrussel bitch Molly (yes she's fat but that's down to getting spaded ) image.jpg

She's a cracking little grafter but at the end of the day they are pets first and foremost the working side is only with me nether will hunt unless I'm there the misses and my two lads (18 14 ) have tried but they are not interested but when we all go for a walk it's nose to ground and hunt regardless

A tidy cross one for the future when my ADHD dog goes lol