Steel Target Thickness?

I don't have a cf but work in a steel factory I say 10-15mm would be sufficient. The thicker you go, the more multiple shots in the same place it would take before penetrating but if your lugging it around it could get heavy.

Thick!

Here's .22-250 vs 3/8" steel. Described as armour plate but I seriously doubt that.

You also need to balance hardness as if you go to hard, the steel will be more brittle and could shatter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrUwgIiZuFU

Personally, I'd buy a few small squares of different thickness steels, say 3" square and run some tests.

I'm geussing though you're going to need something between 1/2" and 3/4" unless you hinge the target.

Edited by Alsone

Its the 'type' of steel as much as the thickness, I was given 2 x 15" square steel plates, 15mm thick mild steel, heavy and just right?

At 100 yards 22.250, .270 & 7x57 all went straight through making a roughly double calibre sized 'silver' hole.

It didn't even make much of a 'clang'.

Oh dear.

Try'd all that dan untill you start

Blowing holes in 1"steel targets you'll

Have no idea how much velocity (power)

A c/f has google ar500 targets 10mm & youtube

You'll never get fru um

Probably why these use ar500 steel on armed vehicles lol

Make shore you post some pics when there full of holes aswell lol

Atb cm

For multiple use you will be looking at least 20mm hardox dam, friend of mine has .223 and I work in a steel yard my self. 20mm hardox with a ballistic tip leaves a slight indentation but would take 3 maybe four round on round shots before completely going through. We used 20mm mild steel and two shots saw an end to that. I managed to get a scrap piece If 70mm plate which should last him a while haha

I picked up a inch thick steel plate from work today (scrap)

Its crazy heavy and about as big as a dinner plate going to try that but angled to deflect bullet it it ricochets.

If you angle the plate then the round has to pass through more steel. :thumbs: