Ya Got To Love Mushroom Season!

No, I always pick a bucket or two of mushrooms every year and this year everybody (yourself included) has been telling me about the mushrooms they've been picking but yet I'm out every day in different places and haven't seen any yet.

I think everyone has been telling lies, LOL.

Some nice field mushrooms by me but I haven't picked any. I have done in the past just bit wary now a days. Think it was last year some chap ate the wrong ones and his internal organs shutdown in devon I think. I think you need to be well clued up and I am not so have not picked any

Edited by terryd
  • 3 weeks later...

Field and horse mushrooms are farley handy terry once you get used to them and the smell. I read somewhere there is no fatal look alike to either . Neil you find any shrooms yet ?? Just got home with a brown bag full of chicken of the wood :)

Field and horse mushrooms are farley handy terry once you get used to them and the smell. I read somewhere there is no fatal look alike to either . Neil you find any shrooms yet ?? Just got home with a brown bag full of chicken of the wood :)

Thanks chris nearly tempted lol but then I read this

---------------------------------

The yellow-staining mushroom (Agaricus xanthodermus), for instance, which can leave you racing between basin and toilet for days on end, is easily mistaken for both the field mushroom (Agaricus campestris) and the cultivated mushroom (Agaricus bisporus), the usual white number that you buy in supermarkets. The only way to tell some lookalikes apart is to stick them on a piece of paper and check the colour of the spores that drop from their undercarriages. That's every bit as tedious as it sounds.

--------------------------------

saying that I used to picks carry bags of them no problems when I was young. Trouble with this internet it confuses things :laugh:

Neil i had a struggale walking the roads home today with a terrier and lurcher after filling the bag so i know where ur coming from. Also got what i think is a chanterell today but not sure yet so it just sitting there untill i 100% identify it. Terry the yellow stainer stains yellow when cut or scraped making it identifyable unless when very young it dosent stain yellow if i rember correctly. But ya only today got a half dozen horse+field mushys and when researching the others starting getting second toughts about them because of what was on the internet ha it can be confusing alright but saying that id be absolutly lost without it for researching all sorts :)

Been collecting lots of horse and field mushrooms when out with the dogs also found some huge giant puffballs but they were starting to spore. Anyone else been collecting?

I work on a dairy farm and I have never seen so many puffballs but didn't know you could eat them , I know greyhound men used to dry them and use them to treat there pads to harden them

Ive only had field mushrooms and parasols. I see a hell of a lot when Im out walking but I don't trust my id skills with most of them. I was out walking yesterday and saw 3 mushrooms shaped like milk bottles sticking out of the ground. Anyone know what these are? Theyre not in my mushroom guide.

Ya im farley new to puffballs myself but seems most types are ediable. How did the greyhound lads use them after drying? Never heard that before, thats quite interesting!

yes chris87 I new a bloke who had greyhounds and when they had run on sand there pads used to get sore , so when he got a puff ball he would let it dry out abit then rub the dogs pads in it, and he said it makes the pads much tougher and there was something in the puff ball that helps the healing of the sore pads