Applying For Fac , But What's Best For Different Quarry

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

:hmm:   What may be easy for some is impossible for others, don't be too hasty to jump in.   My furthest rabbit with a HMR was 258 yards witnessed and confirmed on a range finder, another pal took

For rabbits and fox to 120yds and beyond i would consider both the hornets .17 and .22.

160 yard Rabbits 'easy' 17hmr. (yeh right) Check your range with a laser not your fantasy matey I don't think so. That's a long way, you can't even see a Rabbit properly from that far let alone 'hea

Good luck you you whatever you do, my mate went from 308 target shooting a year or so ago and now goes rabbiting with me but still had to be mentored in doing this...I know things have changed slightly since then tho.

I would like a .308, that was actually the calibre I would like to own, I sit well with it and get a good feel with .308 rifles

Well I hope for your sake progunjohn that you can get that first off, unless you have land to shoot deer on and have previous experience with cf I doubt your first rifle would be for that otherwise every would be stalker in the UK would already have one...and that would predominantly be people who lack the necessary experience first off instead of the people who are genuinely professional.

If you do lack that requirement then by going from the bottom up like starting with rimfires is a necessity in an feo's eyes.

Depends where you live.

Some friends of mine with no previous shooting experience (but I think DSC1), got .22-250 and .243 for Deer in Scotland completely open at 1st grant (and not restricted to Scotland although that's only where they shoot deer). Then again their force won't grant RF for fox. So maybe a more sensible approach happens there now. (It used to be one of the worst for granting).

I guess you have to try. However it is force dependant and many won't grant CF at 1st grant (unless you're prepared to fight them over their refusal and are prepared to take it as far as necessary to achieve your result).

Edited by Alsone

True alsone but if you have land, I asked for 308 for deer a few years ago and as I had not had centre fire or land to shoot deer on and I was not granted as I had no evidence to prove to him in his eyes like photos or a reference of previous estate stalks etc etc...and rightly so, that said this is 2-3 years ago and things are changing all the time.

This may have been down to the feo's personal choice and if you get one like I had who was a seasoned shooter and hunter himself then logically without experience I do believe he will deny you this whether you have a right to one or not...whether you want to exercise your rights to this effect is up that person.

Edited by celticrusader

Reading this it shows what a national disgrace the process is. Genuine folk who have a love of shooting seemingly denied FAC's or amended certificates because of the personality or bias of an LO.

Then of course that leads to frustration and the risk shooters will take larger quarry with smaller rounds.

Time for national standards applied across the board.

Myself I would take it out of police hands, I actually think DEFRA more appropriate. Give them the portion of increasing police budgets and the legal powers. Bring a similar approach to parts of the US with dedicated rangers, folk who understand shooting and animal behaviour / needs.

Also embark on a national education programme for shooting in schools and colleges. For too long the anti gun/hunting culture has festered via PC and leftist attitudes. Maybe if Scotland votes "out" it will allow some positive changes for England and Wales.

Hell, there I go again.....still, an old fella can dream

• Like 1

Or as SS said elsewhere, be prepared to stand on your principles if you have good reason and the land.

However, you need to be prepared to take it as far as necessary if the FEO doesn't concede and if a Shooting Organisation confirms you are in the right (I've added the latter as self diagnosis can sometimes be dangerous!).

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 1