Very Expensive Wasps

Got another wasp nest to do on Thursday, I`m charging £40 and will make a tidy profit on that even with a 14 mile round trip.

Before they phoned me they called Rentokil.

Before I tell you their quote, perhaps you can write down what you think they quoted. I was amazed!!! Think they were quoting per wasp :laugh:

Got another wasp nest to do on Thursday, I`m charging £40 and will make a tidy profit on that even with a 14 mile round trip.

Before they phoned me they called Rentokil.

Before I tell you their quote, perhaps you can write down what you think they quoted. I was amazed!!! Think they were quoting per wasp :laugh:

did it involve scaffolding, 2 men etc :laugh:

I went to a job & the Rentokil assessor had been & looked at the job & confirmed there was a wasp nest & would go back & put it on the system, so the lady said are you not going to treat it?. no someone will be over in 3-4 days to treat it. so how much will it be? £95 was the answer, her reply was forget it I will ring someone local, so she rang me I was there within 2 hours treated hers & her mates round the corner & charged them £25 each. fair I thought

I have heard on Rentakil wasps quoted at £285.

Fair play to em, as long as they have up front quotes and dont do work that dosnt need doing. Nobody would call a car sales man because he managed to sell a car for £200 more than the profit he really needed.

Better than flying round the place trying to compete with the £20 men.

I had a call last year from an elderly man just when I was looking forward to getting home at the end of a long Friday afternoon. He not only asked how soon I could get to him but then asked a load of searching questions that sort of set alarm bells ringing. He did sound rather like a bit of an awkward customer but when I met him I realised why.

He'd had a nest above a downstairs window treated but before the operator was even dispatched had been asked to pay the bill of £117 over the phone in advance.

The problem he now had was that his bedroom above the window was full of wasps and he'd been told that it would cost another £117 in advance just for an operator to come and have a look.

It turned out that wasps from the nest were crawling up a radiator pipe and pushing their way through the fitted carpet . The fact that they were clearly not very well and most were in the last stages of expiry indicated that the original treatment had probably worked but unlucky circumstances had cased a problem.

A quick puff down the pipe hole -which I then plugged with some tin-foil- and two minutes with the hoover sorted things . I was happy to do it for nothing as the chap had already paid out a lot and was actually a really nice old fellow. As it was he insisted on giving me "something for my petrol".

I can only think that he had originally rung a sort of central office that farms-out jobs to local pest-controllers as the address on the invoice was way out of the area.

I also suspect that the actual operator who did the job would have been horrified not to have been given a chance to put things right free of charge . Or am I being naïve?

£270 here for Rento

They are just pricing out of the market!

Pricing themselves out of the market, or pushing up the value of pest control?

It's certainly food for thought :hmm:

Years ago, I was charging £15 to do wasps. At that time, Rento were charging £40 - £60, and I was cheap at a quarter of their price.......

Their price crept up........ within 10 years it was £75 - £125 and I'd doubled my price to £30.....

These days, most pest controllers are charging £40 - £60 and they are creeping their prices up......

It makes you think doesn't it?

They lead, the rest of us follow, picking up the crumbs along the way and always trying to be cheaper...... :yes:

Always remember that whilst some surveyors have the disgusting habit of using 'scare tactics' to sell their services, no body holds a gun to the heads of the unwitting customers that pay what seems to most of us to be 'inflated' prices....

Food for thought, indeed...........