Finally Here!

kps1979

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well after a long wait my bitch has had a litter of 6 pups, 4 bitches 2 dogs, my bitch is a 3/4 border 1/4 pat and the sire is a kc whippet owned by my friend, 2 pups are grizzle in colour and the res

Posted Images

Are these likely to be capable lamping dogs or just bushers? I know it depends how they throw, and this is the bushing section.

Like you say it depends how they throw, I was unsure where to post this topic in bushing section or lurcher after all beddy x whippets are classed as lurchers :-/

My friend who owns the sire has a jack russel x whippet who's very capable of catching on the lamp, I think the dog pups are going to be quite big for this breeding

This is why I am interested in the cross, I know there are hundreds of crosses out there but it is interesting. They cross bedlingtons, with lads saying they would prefer to cross a proper earth dog than a larger bedlington.

Then moan when people ask about crossing patterdales etc with whippets, saying what does an earth dog have to give to the whippet. My old dog was a terrier/whippet type and she was ace.

Admittedly, too slow for a straight line rabbit and I never tried her lamping. In think the extra leg and agility makes them much more efficient ratters.

This is why I am interested in the cross, I know there are hundreds of crosses out there but it is interesting. They cross bedlingtons, with lads saying they would prefer to cross a proper earth dog than a larger bedlington.

Then moan when people ask about crossing patterdales etc with whippets, saying what does an earth dog have to give to the whippet. My old dog was a terrier/whippet type and she was ace.

Admittedly, too slow for a straight line rabbit and I never tried her lamping. In think the extra leg and agility makes them much more efficient ratters.

I've been thinking about this cross for a long time now, I've already got a half decent lurcher and I'm more than happy with my terrier so hopefully I'll end up with something in between the two of them!

Where I mainly walk I think one of these pups will do me fine, like you say they might be a bit slow catching a rabbit flat out in a field but they should make good ferreting and mooching dogs, just need to try make my mind up what one I'm keeping now!

• Like 1

I've been thinking about this cross for a long time now, I've already got a half decent lurcher and I'm more than happy with my terrier so hopefully I'll end up with something in between the two of them!

Where I mainly walk I think one of these pups will do me fine, like you say they might be a bit slow catching a rabbit flat out in a field but they should make good ferreting and mooching dogs, just need to try make my mind up what one I'm keeping now!

The do look belting, if they take the border coat it can't be a bad thing, I know my old dog once she started to use her head after about the age of 4 got very good at pegging rabbits in the crops/tussocks.

Good luck with the pups, and keep the pictures coming.

• Like 1

I've got my saluki whippet here or I would! I like this cross because I had one.
Maybe in a few seasons I'll buy one or breed one.i've seen the 'whirrier' threads on here. Some look belting little lurchers.

Picked her up this afternoon:

20140911_203311_zpsa5sptgu1.jpg

Edited by Tozer
  • Like 2