Vitara Over-Revving Problem?

My 97 1600 Vitara recently started revving up to a steady 1800rpm from cold and then-ticking over too fast when warm. I'm not amazingly technical but have found that by removing and plugging the end of a hose from the air intake to what is probably a valve housing on the side of the carburettor or disconnecting the blue terminal on the other end of the housing the car runs as it should .

Can someone have a look at the photo and tell me what the seemingly defective bit is called,if it is repairable or easy to get a replacement and even if my diagnosis is correct.

Any help would be really gratefully received .

Many thanks

post-13773-0-58440600-1408202864_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I meant to update on progress a while ago but forgot. Or was I trying to hide my embarrassment?

Just in case anyone else ever has a similar problem I'll share but needless to say I felt a bit of a duck when I worked it out.

Having checked vacuum hoses and done the obvious it was time to ask for help .I trawled the Suzuki forums without success. Plenty of idle system faults mentioned but nothing relevant to my rock-steady 1800rpm tick-over

Computer,sensor or some "emission system fault" were the rather expensive sounding diagnosis from people professing to be mechanics. Even had one try to talk to it with a plug-in diagnostic machine.

I know now that none of these lads had a clue. But neither did I.

So,I'm having a desperate fiddle(with the engine) and for some reason I decide to touch something that I had seen before but had been wary of interfering with. Bingo!

I now know that Suzuki Vitaras of 1997 vintage have TWO throttle stops . One at the top- of the cable cam and a sneaky one underneath. The lower one is covered in a plastic cap and is locked by a nut which is dabbed with official-looking white paint. To a technophobe such as myself it just screams "Factory setting .Do not touch!".

Anyway ,I touched it. The locking nut was only finger tight and the throttle-stop had contrived to screw itself in thus preventing the throttle from closing fully.

Ten seconds later with the aid of an 8mm spanner I had my sub 800rpm tick-over back.

I still feel a duck but if this post helps anyone else I don't mind sharing my ineptitude. :icon_redface:

• Like 1