when is the right time to harvest hazel nuts as i have plenty near where i live and dont want squirrels or birds to beat me to them,i seen on ytube a man picking them just as they started to get brown spots on the husk and storing in a carboard box so as anyone else took them before they ripen naturally :thumbs:

Yup. As long as they are ready, you can harden at home. Picked a load of wind fall yesterday, white ones. Just like conkers Pip. Get brown at home in a drawer.

bob looks like ill have a bumper crop their all over my back field and some size :D

• 2 weeks later...

I went out yesterday morning planning to get a bag of hazel nuts but the trees were stripped bare. Theres loads of greys about so I think they've beat me to it. Came back with a big bag of apples and a load of blackberries instead and had a crumble so all was not lost.

• Like 1

ive been turning mine daily in a bin and just took all the outer leafy stuff off as most have gone hard and dark brown but ill lm leaving them for a couple more weeks just to ripen up properly

any ideas welcome as what to make with them ie cakes or sweet type things :thumbs: