What Am I Doing Wrong

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Try a first cross Beddy/grey or Wheaton/grey..

4 dogs in 5years......not all dogs wanna get involved with such things at 12months old. Let em grow up and maybe get behind a few rabbits. Some will some wont, it dosnt make your cock any bigger if th

You can only question the dog you bred yourself, buying in pups from so called single handed fox dogs that you cant prove,, it takes a special kind of dog with heart to take regular foxes season after

You can only question the dog you bred yourself, buying in pups from so called single handed fox dogs that you cant prove,, it takes a special kind of dog with heart to take regular foxes season after season,, night after night. worker to worker is as good as it gets, but its still no guarantee cg.

• Like 4

as said already mate if you haven't seen the sire and dam take fox then you just don't know. if your pups are coming from dogs only used for rabbits well then you'd be lucky to get a good fox dog. if your pups did come from single handed dogs then its a case of bad luck picking the pups. you could breed the two best single handed dogs you can find have 10 pups and if 2 of the pups are as good as the parents then your lucky. not all pups make it no matter how well bred they are.

• Like 1

4 dogs in 5 years ,,some think dont add up,,,you must be getting a new pup, before 1 of them get chance of coming up to scratch,, proberly still a pup at heart,

Yep. My pup is 13 months and there is no way she would see teeth this season even if it was legal. Certainly not in the next 6 months anyway. She is still very immature.

Sure some are ready at 9-10 months but it's all about knowing your stock. Isn't it?

In the past 5 years I've reared 4 lurcher pups with the intention of using them on foxes. Everyone of them hasn't made the grade and all where from single handed parents. Never entered them too early and always entered them alongside an experienced dog for the first 4 or 5 goes. 1 pup who was 3/4 greyhound collie just barked its head of at them. Another was a deerhound bull x he showed great potential with another dog took teeth and never bothered him in the slightest but wouldn't do them single handed just ran them till they got away. The last two where brother and sister they where 9/16 greyhound 7/16 bull probably the best bred pups I'll likely ever get hold of but the bitch has no interest whatsoever apart from rabbits the dog dances round foxes nipping and barking at them. They are 18 months old. What am I doing wrong.

18 months old may hold the clue,the same mutts in a more experienced kennel,with another season under them,be the type of dog that yanks your pony.

A half decent bull cross should be capable of a Fox come 18 months of age ,and if anything need holding back from doing numbers.

Doing ones and twos,if bred right,then resting up,kept winning,should be within

It's capabilities.

We're talking 18 months not 10 - 11 months thought and this is where the damage can be done,also working whole not fit or sore will sicken quicker than most things.

I certainly wouldn't be giving up at 18 months though.As has been said some are still immature at that age and could be raring to go in 12 months from that age.

Keep trying and give them some more time