Farewell Old Lad

mrs went down to feed the ferrets tonight and old bob didnt appear like he normally does so she checked his bed and looks like he passed away in his sleep shes upset and hes now buried in the garden born blind he turned out a very use full worker slow but always checked every where unlike the the jills that were zippy but they made a good team its funny how you know he will be missed work wise and has a pet but never really take in to account when there

Edited by blackmaggie
  • Like 3

I've got one the same here mate, about 5 now I should think and has been a decent worker but my daughter and grandaughter love him to bits. They have him out on the lawn nearly every time they visit and he still does all the bouncing round young ferrets do playing with them.

Mind you, now I think about it he's fed every day, has a nice warm bed to curl up in and he's been sh***ing 3 jills for the past couple of months, if I was him I'd be happy too. :laugh:

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss mate, a good ferret is a working partner and at home them 'dopy trundling' hobs can be real lovable family friends too. :yes:

cheers bosun and lads he was so laid back with the kids and dogs he was a pleasure to own and always enjoyed the attention he got every day of the kids when the mrs use to let him run round the lawn he was like a kit again once when he escaped i forgot to put the catch on the door i found him the morning after fast alsleep with the dog in her kennel more than likely to lazy to go to far and work wise always slow but never missed anything and gave me some good sport

Edited by blackmaggie
  • Like 2

Sorry for your loss was gutted to lose my maybe best ever jill a few weeks ago. i kept a few young ones back from her only litter late last year they have big boots to fill so fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss was gutted to lose my maybe best ever jill a few weeks ago. i kept a few young ones back from her only litter late last year they have big boots to fill so fingers crossed.

Up until five years ago I had not bred a litter of ferrets for about 25 years, but I had one jill that was an exceptional worker. so I decider to breed her I have a hob that was 3 years old at the time he is eight now, and showing his age. He was a good steady worker, but not in the same class as the jill, and working on the premise of better the devil you know I mated them.

She had only four young two of each and then when the kits were 4 weeks old I went out one morning and she was dead in the cwb and the young trying to suckle off of her. I have had ferrets for close on 55 years and you sort of get used to them not living a long life, but I was really gutted at loosing her and she was only 4.

Funny thing is none of the young have come near her working ability, they have hers and the hobs temperament alright, but I could not trust them to work a 30 odd hole deep sand warren on their own and be sure that it is empty when they came out like I could with their mother.

Losing a good ferret is shit no ifs ands or buts.

TC

Edited by tiercel

Up until five years ago I had not bred a litter of ferrets for about 25 years, but I had one jill that was an exceptional worker. so I decider to breed her I have a hob that was 3 years old at the time he is eight now, and showing his age. He was a good steady worker, but not in the same class as the jill, and working on the premise of better the devil you know I mated them.

She had only four young two of each and then when the kits were 4 weeks old I went out one morning and she was dead in the cwb and the young trying to suckle off of her. I have had ferrets for close on 55 years and you sort of get used to them not living a long life, but I was really gutted at loosing her and she was only 4.

Funny thing is none of the young have come near her working ability, they have hers and the hobs temperament alright, but I could not trust them to work a 30 odd hole deep sand warren on their own and be sure that it is empty when they came out like I could with their mother.

Losing a good ferret is shit no ifs ands or buts.

TC

Sounds just like mine TC she was 4 here one day gone the next mated her last year to a steady decent hob i have he is now 7 kept 2 hobs and 2 jills back fingers crossed the mating was worthwhile. :thumbs: