Kids And Weight Training?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The single biggest downfall of young lifters is motivation......by all means get him in a gym learning how to do the basic lifts with correct form,but dont let him get too wrapped up in eating cleanly

My lad goes to the gym with me and he is only 12. I just make sure the weights he uses arent too much for him. Before primary school i used to get him to do 10 press ups, his mother used to moan at me

Gnasher16 is the man to ask ... But done sensibly and correctly there is no problem .......

Plenty high school kids in gyms these days, come half three they're all in there curling dumbells and bench pressing. None of them know what a pull up bar is... LOL

You can usually tell the posers by the size of their pecs, rather than the size of their back :laugh:

• Like 1

My lad goes to the gym with me and he is only 12. I just make sure the weights he uses arent too much for him. Before primary school i used to get him to do 10 press ups, his mother used to moan at me, he thanked me last week, told me it was the best thing i could have done. He can now bang 10+ pull ups out and 30+ press ups easy.

Its good to see the little ones going to the gym and doing constructive things rather than congregating on street corners. We go to gym together and shoot rabbits once a week or so, great for bonding with him, couldnt be happier/prouder.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

You have to be very careful with young joints, you can cause real long term damage if your not careful.

Same as football boots, no kids younger than 14 should be wearing metal studs.....it ravages the knees

• Like 2

I think boxing style circuit training would be the best way at first.

Light weight/high rep with some easy C.V in between while recovering

The hardest thing I think would be keeping them motivated without seeing any real gains,they aren't gonna stack on mass or get ripped,at least if he took part in a sport he'd see an improvement in his performance.

I have heamaphilia which causes bleeding in muscles and joints leading to limited movement in the latter I have been boxing training since the age of six I have trained weights on and of from thirteen and I have trained mma all against doctors wishes i have felt no negative affects from the training only benefits I can think of nothing better than excercise for young boys

• Like 2

The single biggest downfall of young lifters is motivation......by all means get him in a gym learning how to do the basic lifts with correct form,but dont let him get too wrapped up in eating cleanly......let him be a kid and eat what he wants you say he,s a slim lad so his metabolism is probably high meaning he will burn it off quicker than he can put it on anyway so the likelihood is eating correctly will be counter productive in that if he doesnt see results he may lose his motivation for lifting.

Let his frame develop as nature intended then when its time to start putting the real work in as a young adult he will have a head start when it comes to lifting form,knowledge and motivation.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 3