.22-250 Newbie Advice Update (Thanks)

Hi Guys

Just wanted to share this with you after I started a thread, with the a similar title, around 2 weeks ago. After reading all your advice you have given me and the other different posts, I've eventually gone and done it. I bought myself a .22-250 on Friday. :D

I am a very happy chappy now. My budget was very tight and after reading all your posts on second hand .22-250's I decided to go new. Obviously, for a new rifle I was going to pay a whole lot more, so I decided to do a lot of reading, surfing the web and Youtubing.... I eventually settled on a Savage Axis Stainless. It has a 22" half inch threaded UNF barrel. Synthetic stock. I know its not a very expensive rifle, but after days and days of reading, all the articles and videos I read, gave it a very very good review for a rifle that cost me £385 brand new. It doesn't have the Savage Accu Trigger and, for some, the trigger maybe a bit heavy but I am very, very pleased with it. I got a very good grouping with it at 100yds and it definately likes those Norma's 50gr. Glad it does, they weren't cheap.

Ive got a bit more shooting to do with it so as I can fine tune myself and not the rifle. This is my first step up to centrefire and all I can say is WOW........... :yes: I love this calibre and rifle. Why didn't I do this years ago. Its sooooo mad. I have been shooting and around shooting six I was about 4 years old. After shooting air rifles all my life I decided to step up to rimfire. Got myself a HMR and thought it was amazing. But now I have a shiny new .22-250 the rimfire feels like a toy.

Once again guys, thanks for all your advice. It has helped me a whole lot. This is my first venture into centrefire and I think this rifle will serve me well for many a year to come.

ShropshireDan......If youre reading this, have you got your variation through yet?? You gotta get one of these..

Let'sShoot............I hope you get you're zeroing issue sorted very soon mate. I went out yesterday for the first time with my .22-250 and I instantly thought of your post and thought to myself. I hope I manage to get my rifle zero'd within around 10-15 rounds or it is gonna cost me a lot of money. I have been reading your post and keeping up to date and I have to agree, I think you can rule out the rifle now mate.. That's good.

Anyway, CharlieCaller...You still haven't told me what CAST BULLETS are.. :yes: Please dont keep it a seceret. And, once again, sorry if I sound dull.

CelticCrusader...I'm happy I had the .22-250 and as you said, It's a good step up and it will help my confidence in centrefire should I decide to step up to .243.

I've added a few photo's guys because I like my new rifle. It's not a very expensive set up by any means. But, I like it.. :D

Thanks Guys

post-65494-0-59794500-1407069299.jpg

post-65494-0-30042400-1407069470.jpg

• Like 3

Congrats mate. Very nice rifle. I'm just waiting for my variation been 2 weeks now so hopefully not much longer. I have a new zastava m70 sporting rifle in .22-250 but obviously can't collect until I get my license back :(

Well done though mate hopefully ill be joining you in having a .22-250 next week (hopefully)

Well done, you don't have to have an expensive rifle to enjoy it just an accurate one. As funds allow you can buy an aftermarket trigger for it. One thing you cannot scrimp on though is practice, i have never seen a tight arse thats any good at any sort of shooting. When you can afford it put targets out at 100, 200 300 yds in differing winds and note where you need to shoot to hit the target. Good luck with it and enjoy it.

• Like 1

Yes Ianm

I agree with you there. I know I need more practice and cant wait to get back out. I managed to get a 1" high at hundred yards with a 1-1 and a half inch group witht the last three rounds. Time was against me though and I know with more practice and different ranges I will get better.

It won't be long now Dan. Give them a ring tomorrow.

Nowt wrong with that lad, looks good, either put an aftermarket trigger, or have a riflesmith fettle when you can afford it, it will make the trigger very nice, cast bullets are merely bullets you cast yourself, in a mold, these have no copper jacket, the yanks are mad keen on cast bullet shooting, and they can be very accurate, save those fired cases for when you start to reload :yes:

Thanks for that Charlie. First I had heard of them. Its true what they say, You learn something new every day. What materials do you use in the mold?

Yes mate, Keeping all my case. Im so glad my rifle likes Norma ammo. I know i can get a better grouping and its all down to me and getting used to the rifle. Cant wait to get my first Charlie with it. I know ive had them with my HMR but shooting my first centrefire yesterday gave me a buzz ive never had before. All i want to do now is go out.

Only thing I would say is that if you are going to cast, either cast outdoors and stay upwind of the moulting pot or buy a respirator that protects against toxic vapours (lead in all forms including vapour is poisonous).

Nowt wrong with that lad, looks good, either put an aftermarket trigger, or have a riflesmith fettle when you can afford it, it will make the trigger very nice, cast bullets are merely bullets you cast yourself, in a mold, these have no copper jacket, the yanks are mad keen on cast bullet shooting, and they can be very accurate, save those fired cases for when you start to reload :yes:

Only thing I would say is that if you are going to cast, either cast outdoors and stay upwind of the moulting pot or buy a respirator that protects against toxic vapours (lead in all forms including vapour is poisonous).

I seem to have missed the reference to cast bullets, but you are going to have to find a new metal/allow over lead to get any sort of result out of them at normal 22-250 speeds!

There is a very good reason most CF have a copper coat, especially the particularly fast ones!

Looks nice maktayla. I noticed from your previous post that you got the 22.250 without a mentoring condition , which force are you with? I juat been given my .223 slot but with a mentoring condition. This will be difficult to do so contacted basc for advice . Wrote a letter to devonandcornwall police but they refused to move it . They say I can use my rimfire on fox and they will condition it , they refused to do that originally that's why I went for .223. No wonder I got a headache.