At the first sign of a flea, mine get treated with Advantage.

A vet said to me once, flea collars are not fit for there intended purpose, she said the only thing there are good for is once you have treated your animals with advantage or frontline, you need to hoover the whole house, cut a flea collar up and put it inside the hoover before you do. Any fleas or eggs that you pick up will be in close contact with the bits of collar for long enough to work inside the hoover...

Stay away from any cheap bob martin stuff, poison a dog with that crap...

Ive always used frontline and touch wood all has been good, at random intervals i put diatomaceous earth between all cracks and crevices to kennel and in between insulation and board, now and again if i have any left over ficam w a quick spray with that.

This has been a bad year for fleas because of the way the weather has been because of humidity the best way to treat a lot of fleas on a dog is to wash them in detol then to put a flea collar on them but you need to spray all the beding down with detol aswell good luck

frontline ie the stuff you want.

get the one off the vet and not the one from your local stores as they are different even though they are both called frontline. the one from the vets is called frontline combo and the one from your local stores like country wide etc etc is just frontline and is shit.

there is a different/extra chemical in the one from the vets which only vets are registered to sell thats why there one is better.

• 4 months later...

This has been a bad year for fleas because of the way the weather has been because of humidity the best way to treat a lot of fleas on a dog is to wash them in detol then to put a flea collar on them but you need to spray all the beding down with detol aswell good luck

is Detol any good for killing fleas? if so can you use it to wash your dog with it?

Edited by hawki

is Detol any good for killing fleas? if so can you use it to wash your dog with it?

washing up liquid or the shampoo you use on your hair will do. wet the dogs coat rub a load of washing up liquid into the dogs coat untill you get the coat full of sudds, leave for 2 or 3 minutes before washing the sudds out of coat. do this once a day for 3 or 4 days. To do the dog boxes I just boil up a load of pots of water. I pour the boiling water into all the cracks and crevices. This will do eggs and fleas.