Ever Seen A Better Example Of A 'genuine' First Cross....?

i have to agree with the last post. but animals that get the best of both worlds rarely throw it. the mold is broke after making them.

Pye was one of those rarities that, when lines were tight, threw dogs both as good, if not better, in shape and attitude. :yes:

i saw another pic of him fine looking animal :thumbs:

Was it this one?

post-8037-0-28026700-1407217525_thumb.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did Paulus take that photo?

Strangely enough......I handled punch in a show for SB when I was about 18........of couse he was the only dog like that at the whole show back then & he took 1st prize......I'll always remember,

Not a better example but a genuine first cross! And does ok for me! Honest bitch!

Posted Images

i have to agree with the last post. but animals that get the best of both worlds rarely throw it. the mold is broke after making them.

Pye was one of those rarities that, when lines were tight, threw dogs both as good, if not better, in shape and attitude. :yes:

i saw another pic of him fine looking animal :thumbs:

Was it this one?

attachicon.gifpie.jpg

yes thats the one a athlete :thumbs:

how old was he when he lost his tail? before he got his name as a good worker or after?

Don't know what age he lost his tail, fairly young I think. He had a name as a worker from the off, for those who knew the dog but his name grew with his offspring and then, as of so many dogs, became a 'legend' ( :rolleyes: ) on internet forums. :guitar:

That picture must be over 20 years old, I put it up only for the fact that as a 'genuine' he was/is the best example of type i've ever seen.

Do you mean he looks 50/50 ?

Sort of Jeemes, is it really cut and dried at 50/50, I know thats what in theory you should aim for but I honestly think there are first crosses that seem to make sommat better?

Take that Pye dog, he ain't 50/50, in certain parts of his body he's almost pure one thing or the other. How much bull blood is in his height, how much greyhound in his head... Nope, for me he's simply threw to the best of both and the percentages fall where they fall. Many good half bred's, of any type, fall that way...

Yes I agree with what you are saying,but also I think the two breeds compliment each other and blend very well with further in or line breeding,provided the right types were there in the first cross. For instance not all Bull types are as keen for the actual physical work as others and the same with greys, If you get the right ones that eat work you can get fitness to much higher levels.

• Like 1

what works best for a first cross,

dam bull and stud grey or other way around, dam grey and stud bull??

Atb

Magpie_Hunter

ive done it both ways both produced what

Cracking example, from the pictures I've seen so was ray walkers buck

was it a similar stamp ? can u put pic up?

Atb

Magpie_Hunter

ive done it both ways both produced what was wanted :thumbs:

ok, thanks for info.

Atb

Magpie_Hunter

Samba ,would I be right in saying pye,looks a similar stamp to your old dog in your avatar?

Edited by roybo

Atb

Magpie_Hunter

Samba ,would I be right in saying pye,looks a similar stamp to your old dog in your avatar?

yes I would say simalar

post-3076-0-72770300-1407589431.jpg

• Like 3