.17 Hmr Round Jammed

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stalking Directory........Of course..... Cheers Charlie   See what you mean... Open to a lot of interpretation that one. I know when I fire a round, if I am not entirely sure that round has left the

I started a similar thread on this a couple of weeks ago. HMR - too loud, too expensive and now too dangerous. Get rid.

Always go chamber to muzzle pal it may only be 2 inch but it's in the right direction walshy

And another one added to the list of hmr horror stories ;) reading just last week on SD about a chap who is trying to get health and safety involved after the rear part of the bolt and part of the stock were blown off by just this problem, and a subsequent round being fired, what a pile of crap :yes:

Why did he chamber and fire a second round if the first one failed?

And another one added to the list of hmr horror stories ;) reading just last week on SD about a chap who is trying to get health and safety involved after the rear part of the bolt and part of the stock were blown off by just this problem, and a subsequent round being fired, what a pile of crap :yes:

Why did he chamber and fire a second round if the first one failed?

Sometimes you can't tell. There have been several posts on here where the round has actually gone bang but not left the barrel.

So presumably it went bang, he thought he'd missed, chambered another and blew the gun up.

Whereas I'm not sure I agree that HMR is too loud (anything is loud compared to .22 sub) and lets face it the other longer range rimfire option .22 Magnum isn't quiet either, the ammo quality really appears tro be poor and I agree atm it appears dangerous. The companies need to put some serious quality control in place in my opinion, before someone gets killed. I'm sure there are ways of detecting cracked case and improperly filled cases before they leave the production line. eg Xrays and weight

Edited by Alsone

Just for clarity, I've just been reading on the SD about the HMR.

One guy says he reported it to the gunshop who reportedly said "It's nothing to do with us mate, it's down to the manufacturer". That is incorrect.

Anything sold commercially has to comply with the Sale of Goods Act as amended and specifically it has to be "fit for the purpose for which it was intended" and also of "Satisfactory Quality". If it isn't because it doesn't work properly, then the gunshop ARE responsible for the defective rounds as they sold the ammunition. SO you have every right to take them back for a refund and it's up to them to return them to the manufacturer and obtain a credit in respect of their next trade. Your refund is NOT relient on them returning them successfully to the manufacturer or otherwise. You have an absolute right if they are faulty within the definitions set out in the SOG Act. to an immediate refund or replacement at YOUR discretion (the shop cannot dictate which provided you have a proof of purchase which needn't be a receipt just proof they were bought from there. eg bank card statement, etc).

Edited by Alsone

Very true Alsone ..i hate the way every retailer treats the customers like idiots and prays on the fact that noone knows about there rights and trys to fob people off with store credit or there usual "thats not our policy" bulls**t..rant over lol.

Should help being that its on your FAC, I know its not item specific tho.

I've had this twice. Once I fired a second round, long story, learnt my lesson, no damage to gun (CZ).

The first round I drove out forward, I think a cleaning rod is too bendy and baught a steel rod from B&Q for the job. All I needed to do was tap it with the end of a screwdriver, I was surprised how easy it was.

2nd round was not even properly in the barrel, that on I pushed backwards into the chamber.

The rifle still shoots better than I can.

If you don't have a rod, how do yo clean your HMR? That could start a lively discussion!

I like the HMR.

Hi halamrose

Ive got my own bit of invention for cleaning my Hmr and its served me very well for the last 2 years. Problem is though it is too flexible to drive out the round.

I eventually purchased a rod last Friday and it wassurprisingly difficult to drive that bullet out from the barrel. Too hard in my opinion. Its out now and everything looks good. Just got to get out and have another go with the Winchesters.

This subject really annoys me. The manufacturers really need to pull their socks up!

I've had a few missfires, but thankfully as yet none stuck in the barrel. I recently bought 100 Hornady vmax17 from Neath gun shop, both boxes had lots of bullets with considerable dents in the cases so i took them back.

Edited by sneakysniper

Tbh sneakysniper Dai in neath is a nice guy an all but gave me duff info a year or so ago when picking up a .22lr and ammo from him so I won't be traveling all the way down there again.

I only go there when i have to as i have had a few problems with him also.

Yep he told me Winchesters wernt as good in semi autos and i would be better off with magtech especially in that model I purchased...guess what ammo works best?..that's right Winchester!.. And those magtech he sold me were the biggest pile of trash I've ever seen

Misfeeds, jams ,misfires and extraction problems and only 50 % would then actually fire.

Edited by celticrusader

Yep he told me Winchesters wernt as good in semi autos and i would be better off with magtech especially in that model I purchased...guess what ammo works best?..that's right Winchester!.. And those magtech he sold me were the biggest pile of trash I've ever seen

Misfeeds, jams ,misfires and extraction problems and only 50 % would then actually fire.

Magtech are cheap crap mate. Winchesters work very well in my .22 semi auto (anschutz)

Edited by sneakysniper

Yep them and eley are my hunting rounds and RWS do a new semi auto HV for lovely range work :)

I used to use RWS, bit slower but very quiet and accurate. But then I had my barrel chopped to 16 inches and it wouldn't hit a barn door. I had a new barrel fitted and this one seems to like winchesters best, followed by eley.