Fluxating Patella Advice Please

Sick is the only word to describe how I feel , 7 month old cocker , hurt her leg jumping over the brook, took her to the vet , he's said that this what he feels this could be , rest the dog for 3 weeks, short walks on the lead , then back to the vets for X-rays , he gave her a injection , I've been on the net , and it's been sugested that anti inflame tablets could help , it aso says there are 4 diffrent severities of this complaint , and it looks like the dog is in the class one , just by the way she is ie hopping on the leg and holding it up, then 10 minutes latter she's ok

Feck me I'm devastated , any advice would be more than welcome , but I don't suppose theres any magic cure , just living in hope at the moment

Thanks in advance

Dave

It's caused by the groove the tendon sits in not being properly formed: they shave a bit off the bone to deepen the groove which should stop the tendon slipping out. Good success rate providing the owner follows post-op advice to the letter.

This link explains it very clearly: though not all dogs will have the same level of problems.http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/patella.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Had two dogs with this. Both jack russell terriers which can be prone to it. My first was only young and she had it pinned, never affected her work. My current bitch started with it at ten years of age. She'd do the usual hobble, but also her back leg would give way every now and again. The vet gave her tablets but there was no great improvement, he was considering operating, but I wanted to give her rest ( unless completely necessary I don't like to have them operated on when they're fairly old).... Anyway she had plenty of rest and she's much better, still hobbles occasionally, but no leg giving way.

On the other hand my mothers jack russell has always hobbled through its life with it, but it hasn't affected the dog. Strangely always been the back right legs.

Edited by wuyang
  • 1 month later...