I've got at the moment a mtc mamba 4x16x50 on my 22 rimfire and a mtc viper 4x16x50 to go on my .223 when buy it (hopefully weekend). I shoot on x10 mag.I used these on my airrifles. Starting to wander do I need all that scope on my rim and center fires. These are quite heavy and long with illuminated reticle and side wheels and 50mm lens and 30mm tube. I have been looking at the nikon prostaft 3x9x40 with bdc reticle , its 2.5 inches shorter and nearly half the weight of my viper. Would the prostaft be suitable on the .223 for upto 250 yards on fox. Mostly shoot early morning s and evenings. Or would I be better off keeping hold of the mtc with 30mm tubes and 50mm lens.

Hi Adrian :bye:

Why not go for a Vortex Diamondback scope.

I was after a new scope for my .22 rimmy, and I had about £250 to spend.

After reading numerious good reviews about the Diamondbacks optics, and the excellent life time non quibble guarantee, I bought the new updated 3-12X42 HP side wheel diamondback. The scope has got a 1'' tube and comes with a decent front sun shade as standard. I paid £256 from a company called riflecraft, and the scope arrived the very next day.

What swayed the decision to buy the Vortex for me was, I popped in to my local gun shop to look at a few different model scopes, and the old model diamondback, literally blew the others away. The image was so clear I really could not believe it. And with the added bonus with the Vortex life time guarantee of replacing or fixing the scope, what ever the reason, I really do think that you can't go wrong,

John :thumbs:

Diamondback HP : http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-diamondback-hp-3-12x42-riflescope-with-dead-hold-bdc-reticle

Edited by mjr88
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Depends what u are doing pal if it's just a foxing rifle go for a fixed power s&b 8x50 or a meopta 7x50 no messing about with these point shoot adjust zeroed go shooting with amazing bright optics nikon also very good optics for the cash.

If ur going to use it for more than just foxing say ur gonna do a bit of long range vermin control u will have to dial in shoots then u going to look at something at least 16x power with good turrets that track well leupold bushnell nikon vortex

Go for the prostaff, 3-9x50, get the bdc reticule, go on the Nikon site and download the print off with your load/bullet, they are a brilliant scope, I have one on the .243 and unless I was in the states shooting 500yard prairie dogs, more mag is not needed, for foxes and deer out to 300 yards and beyond :thumbs:

If u want to set up on a hill and shoot long range rabbits and corvids at 200+yards u will want more mag on ur scope a 6 to 24 power scope will cover all kinds of shooting.

U can never have to much scope

Yes .223 is overkill for corvids and rabbits but u won't be hitting many rabbits at 200+ yards with ur. 22 And

. 17hmr

It's all about kicks and giggles