Eu Polecats?

Those who say they are no difference between a normal ferret and a true EU polecat has obviously never worked one........

I think what you`ll find I actually said was no one has ever showed me a wild trapped fully wild reared Polecats. Although, a wild animal would be good for fuckall.

And in 25 years ferreting all I`ve seen is dark ferrets,, nothing special about them at all.

All this hybrid eu poley shit, is just that,, shit,,

Once a wild polecat has had the wild bred out of it ,, it`s a ferret.

• Like 3

We trapped a Polecat this spring , and allowed him to cover jills . The kits are definitely sharper than a pure ferret , we have been handling them a lot and their ok . they are just more aware , alert and fearful than ferrets would be , not biters (yet ! ) . They are very fast and have a surprising turn of speed . I have not tried them yet as they are still quite young . I don't expect them to be as easy as ferrets . Why did we breed them ? more an experiment and we had a wild polecat in our traps , I have heard good stories and bad . Time will tell . It may be the second or third generation that prove to be more usable if we decide to breed from them .

If anyone considers breeding them , I would suggest that the mother needs to be a ferret and not a wild polecat , it allows the young to be handled from birth and the chance to get them tamer . I have heard stories of Wild jills , which would mean not being able to really handle the kits until they are a little older , and I always think animals look to their mothers response , and their behaviour is modelled very much on what they see (to a certain extent - Genetics will instill certain characteristics that no amount of handling can overcome .

The polecat was released after a few weeks . I believe he was a pure , he would hide up all day , and in the evening would be pulling on the wires , beautiful animals , we have quite a few locally . I have trapped a fair few over the years (in pursuit of Mink ) , and will always release them unharmed .

Thanks

Ive seen two that where claimed to be eu poleys after giving lads a day out ferreting and i can honestly say they bought feck all to the table that my working ferrets couldn't and in one cases it was a embarrassment and the guy got ripped all day but he would of anyway :laugh:

A panda ferrets the way to go :hmm::thumbs:

• Like 2