Synthol... Give Your Head A Shake!

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hate it,,, the Mrs is moody for a whole week.........

We wont allow it in the gym it has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with bodybuilding its like someone walking in the gym with shoes 7 sizes too big its needless,dangerous and plain embarrassing !!

You said it yourself bodybuilding is about size,symmetry,quality and function...............only somebody who has never grasped any understanding of working the body would destroy it in such a way....

Posted Images

Let's talk Deadlifts, I f***ing love em!

I'm tiny imo at the minute, 14 stone ish which is the smallest I'v been in a few years (purposely) but I can still comfortably deadlift 180kg even since I hurt my foot which set me back and know I could go up a fair bit too. Can't wait to get back from travelling and get stuck into heavy lifting and banging on size again....

I'm currently 73kg and my 1rm is 180kg. I'm hoping to hit 200 before too much longer but concentrating more on my squat.

Not that it's a competition or anything, it's one of my stronger lifts, got plenty of weaknesses and lots to learn.

Edited by Born Hunter

And purely out of interest, what are people's opinion on periodisation? What's your philosophy on it?

I hate it,,, the Mrs is moody for a whole week.........

• Like 5

Bornhunter you seem like a nice lad with super duper intelligence so im hoping you wont find this patronizing and that you,ll take it in the way its meant :D .....if im not wrong you are a beginner/intermediate lifter maybe 1 - 4 years of dedicated training/diet etc ?..............id imagine that due to your nature you have a thirst for knowledge i understand that but everyone has to go through the same experiences on the path to fulfilling their physical potential......we all start off with an obssession over numbers.....be that kg/reps/sets/bodyweight/size/fat % etc etc.......the older you get and the more familiar you become with lifting and your own body you lose that obssession and concentrate more on the feel/look to know you are doing things right......its not a criticism as like i say we,ve all done it......but i hate seeing folk get too hung up on numbers....similarly with learning new things.......some people read and read to the point where they read more than they train....." periodisation " is very old methods the former Eastern Block countries had great success with but that was more due to their oppressed lifestyles than any kind of sporting theory......everyday people living everyday lives in a relaxed world like todays just wouldnt cope with those techniques.

Like ive said im not meaning to offend you but.................................get your head out the f****n books and just enjoy getting fit and strong for now :D:thumbs:

Edited by gnasher16

Bornhunter you seem like a nice lad with super duper intelligence so im hoping you wont find this patronizing and that you,ll take it in the way its meant :D .....if im not wrong you are a beginner/intermediate lifter maybe 1 - 4 years of dedicated training/diet etc ?..............id imagine that due to your nature you have a thirst for knowledge i understand that but everyone has to go through the same experiences on the path to fulfilling their physical potential......we all start off with an obssession over numbers.....be that kg/reps/sets/bodyweight/size/fat % etc etc.......the older you get and the more familiar you become with lifting and your own body you lose that obssession and concentrate more on the feel/look to know you are doing things right......its not a criticism as like i say we,ve all done it......but i hate seeing folk get too hung up on numbers....similarly with learning new things.......some people read and read to the point where they read more than they train....." periodisation " is very old methods the former Eastern Block countries had great success with but that was more due to their oppressed lifestyles than any kind of sporting theory......everyday people living everyday lives in a relaxed world like todays just wouldnt cope with those techniques.

Like ive said im not meaning to offend you but.................................get your head out the f****n books and just enjoy getting fit and strong for now :D:thumbs:

Not patronising at all. I wouldn't say I have an obsession over numbers, but I will use it as one judge of progression. If you're training to be stronger doesn't that make sense? That said I have come to realise through my 'thirst for knowledge' that that has tended to dominate my training and so limit my progress. Enjoyment soon wains when you can't figure out why you are in a rut... Embarrassingly I've spent too many years on that cycle, the past 18 months has been spent trying a new approach. I'm a shit athlete and not competing against anybody other than myself so in my quest for knowledge I hope I don't come across as a wannabe master of the gym.

By periodization I wasnt referring to purely the Soviet specific stuff but periodization in general. For example DUP, linear, non linear etc. They aren't really advanced plans, at its simplest it's just mixing it up in varying ways to improve progression. No? For instance alternating strength focused sessions with higher rep sessions. Or even thinking outside of the box further, introducing strongman type days or blocks into a bodybuilding programme.

Flat Barbell Bench Press: 3x5

Seated (or Standing) Barbell Shoulder/Overhead Press: 3x5

Incline Barbell Bench Press: 3x5

Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise: 3x10-12

Rope Pushdowns (circuit machine): 3x10-12

Overhead Dumbbell Extension or similar triceps exercise: 3x10-12

Shrugs(circuit machine or dumbbells): 3x10-12

Pull (Back/Biceps):

Barbell Rows: 3x5

Lat Pulldowns with (Long Bar or V-bar) (circuit machine): 3x8-10

Seated Rows (circuit machine) - optional if already doing barbell rows: 3x8-10

Face-pulls: 3x-10-12

Barbell Bicep Curls (Alternate between close and normal grip): 4x-10-12

Choice of one other bicep exercise (typically Hammer Curls): 3x10-12

Legs (Quad/Ham/Calves):

Barbell Squats: 4x5-6

Leg Press (optional if already doing above squats): 3x8-10

Leg Extensions (circuit machine): 3x10-12

Hamstring Curls (circuit machine): 3x10-12

Standing Calf Raises (circuit machine): 5x10-12

Decent rountine for size and strength as you are low volume on the compounds you can still jump uo the number on the bar

• Like 1

Not patronising at all. I wouldn't say I have an obsession over numbers, but I will use it as one judge of progression. If you're training to be stronger doesn't that make sense? That said I have come to realise through my 'thirst for knowledge' that that has tended to dominate my training and so limit my progress. Enjoyment soon wains when you can't figure out why you are in a rut... Embarrassingly I've spent too many years on that cycle, the past 18 months has been spent trying a new approach. I'm a shit athlete and not competing against anybody other than myself so in my quest for knowledge I hope I don't come across as a wannabe master of the gym.

By periodization I wasnt referring to purely the Soviet specific stuff but periodization in general. For example DUP, linear, non linear etc. They aren't really advanced plans, at its simplest it's just mixing it up in varying ways to improve progression. No? For instance alternating strength focused sessions with higher rep sessions. Or even thinking outside of the box further, introducing strongman type days or blocks into a bodybuilding programme.

I bet you love a Mens Health magazine dont you :D ......periodisation.....we could go into all the mesocycles,macrocycles,quadrennials,de - loads,restorative phases and any other of the standard " personal trainer jargon " you like.....there will be good and bad in ANY physically demanding exercise you do......you will progress in some ways and regress in other ways......on your de - load weeks are you going to lose mass when you take out the compounds if you dont eat 100% correctly.....when you start cutting down in blocks in that way and planning too far ahead as a beginner/intermediate lifter it starts to play with your mind and intensity is lost ive seen it a hundred times.......we,re talking purely about in the gym,what about outside the gym,if you are not eating/resting correctly etc the hypertrophy you gained in the earlier phases is starting to be lost and not getting carried over into your power phases its too idealistic and doesnt account for lifestyle/injuries etc.....there is times when you just dont feel like training thats perfectly normal we are just human beings......cycling your training into blocks like this doesnt allow for normal living it all looks fantastic written on a piece of paper but very few people apart from very advanced lifters actually follow these routines to the letter..........yes read them,learn from them and use the ideas there are so many tools out there today available.......but just dont leave behind the basic age old theories that are proven time and time again which for pure strength are obviously lift heavy and correct.......and if its not nailed down.....eat it !

• Like 1

I bet you love a Mens Health magazine dont you :D ......periodisation.....we could go into all the mesocycles,macrocycles,quadrennials,de - loads,restorative phases and any other of the standard " personal trainer jargon " you like.....there will be good and bad in ANY physically demanding exercise you do......you will progress in some ways and regress in other ways......on your de - load weeks are you going to lose mass when you take out the compounds if you dont eat 100% correctly.....when you start cutting down in blocks in that way and planning too far ahead as a beginner/intermediate lifter it starts to play with your mind and intensity is lost ive seen it a hundred times.......we,re talking purely about in the gym,what about outside the gym,if you are not eating/resting correctly etc the hypertrophy you gained in the earlier phases is starting to be lost and not getting carried over into your power phases its too idealistic and doesnt account for lifestyle/injuries etc.....there is times when you just dont feel like training thats perfectly normal we are just human beings......cycling your training into blocks like this doesnt allow for normal living it all looks fantastic written on a piece of paper but very few people apart from very advanced lifters actually follow these routines to the letter..........yes read them,learn from them and use the ideas there are so many tools out there today available.......but just dont leave behind the basic age old theories that are proven time and time again which for pure strength are obviously lift heavy and correct.......and if its not nailed down.....eat it !

I'm not trying to overcomplicate things or sound smart, I read stuff/talk to my peers to try to correct my mistakes, improve what I'm doing, to try to move forward, to try to progress. I'm not looking for a magic pill, just solutions to problems, I can't see ignorance as an excuse for my own failure. You're telling me a lot of stuff that I already prescribe to and some stuff that I would just feel is a level beyond what is needed for me (but I think that's the point). Perhaps I've mislead you on this and we are misunderstanding each other.

No mate, never bought a Men's Health, couldn't quite bring myself to buy a magazine with a topless male model on it which owes it's existence to the 'amazing' supplements industry, lol. That's not to say I don't ask a lot of questions and search for the answers...

Anyway, thanks for your input. :thumbs:

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1