Update On My 1St Season

Well chaps I have really enjoyed starting with the birds , like gnashers post it's been a bit of heart break . Well here we go bought a set of 4 metal double breeders decided to fill it up and have a test of the waters to get some birds and breed some stock for next year. Bought a job lot of canaries cocks and hen borders 8 of the 10 were cocks lol , got rid of them after they bred with the two hens one was a great mum and had 3 eggs I broke one she reared two who are in my flight enjoying there selves she's now on 3 greenie mule eggs.the other is a prolific egg eater eating 1 clutch of canary and 2 clutches of greeniecanary she's going. Bought another pair of fife canary first round 4 eggs again I broke 2 she then tossed the other,went down again I didn't remove eggs this time and left her to it she reared 3 and as they started to feather up I moved all the other birds to my newly built bird room pulled the divider out so they had a bigger space she left the chicks they died the pair are now in the bird room and are again on eggs . Bought black hooded red siskins they are not interested in breeding at all but he's feeding her and singing now .bought a chaffinch cock as to pair with a virgin canary 2013 hen he's not Intrested at all since found out chaffs cocks are no good to mule it has to be the other way round, my greenie is now in the flight with her and he will tread anything lol . Well I'm very much enjoying it and found a common bond with my daughter as she's really enjoying it too . I now know buy the canaries young as you guys were right people just get rid of there crap mid season , it's been a very enjoyable learning curve.

• Like 5

Blinding post that Bull i really enjoy reading folks experiences,like me you sound a bit of a " in for a penny in for a pound " type of person :D i went out and got all the gear,kitted myself out with a little bird room etc only for the birds to make me look a right divvy by not doing what i wanted them to do :laugh: ......ive realised you cant fool nature it does what it does and all we can do is try our best to help that happen as smoothly as possible either way....if you read a few of the lads posts about why its not been a great season it might make you feel a little better but for your first season i think you,ve done great you,ve got stuck in and committed to it and more than likely gained some invaluable experience which will stand you in good stead for next season......i truly believe when you commit to something like you have you gain more than you lose whatever the outcome......me i didnt fully commit this year as the world cup was my priority :D so im not too down on myself as i know i could of done more so theres nobody/nothing to really blame but myself......but by the sound of it you,ll be full steam ahead next year and the fact your daughter is on the case as well gives you even more motivation to succeed.

Great stuff mate thanks for putting your thoughts down to share :thumbs:

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 2

I put up the post as I enjoyed your post too gnasher , ye your right I did exactly the same as you all the gear no idea lol.started with the bank of metal breeders then built a little flight between my block built kennel and block built workshop. Kept seeing bird rooms on all the forums and threads so proceeded to rip out the work shop and put in a cheap load of kitchen units to store my bits and pieces then put 12 breeders in two rows fixed to the wall and core drilled 4 inch holes into the flight so I can separate the birds with dividers in breeding time and pull them out for free flying into the flight when finished breding. Then a nice pair of triple breeders came up so I bought them put them on the wall of the kennel as a spare and core drilled into the flight so if I want there all joined up , pulled the black corrugated of the kennel roof put on clear for the light . Then another 8 metal breeders come up so I bought them to and various books my mrs is doing her nut lol. But I've defo got all the gear and no idea lol .

• Like 1

Fitchet I was always on the dog forum but I just got so fed up with the dicks on there I've not been on this forum for years but this bird section is a nice change some sound blokes with very good advice

• Like 1

I put up the post as I enjoyed your post too gnasher , ye your right I did exactly the same as you all the gear no idea lol.started with the bank of metal breeders then built a little flight between my block built kennel and block built workshop. Kept seeing bird rooms on all the forums and threads so proceeded to rip out the work shop and put in a cheap load of kitchen units to store my bits and pieces then put 12 breeders in two rows fixed to the wall and core drilled 4 inch holes into the flight so I can separate the birds with dividers in breeding time and pull them out for free flying into the flight when finished breding. Then a nice pair of triple breeders came up so I bought them put them on the wall of the kennel as a spare and core drilled into the flight so if I want there all joined up , pulled the black corrugated of the kennel roof put on clear for the light . Then another 8 metal breeders come up so I bought them to and various books my mrs is doing her nut lol. But I've defo got all the gear and no idea lol .

Try and get some pics up if you can mate.....1 picture can say a thousand words and all that :D ......i built my aviary last year and i guess newbie type enthusiasm can give a helping hand at first and i did ok........after that i kitted out a bit of a bird room and it was all downhill from there :laugh:

Sounds like your setting yourself up nicely im curious to learn over the next few years whether more success will be gained with breeding cages/bird room or out in the aviary i dont know if its similar to fish......im into a certain type of fish which you would have absolutely no chance breeding in a community tank they need their own breeding tanks to be comfortable enough to breed..........are birds the same i dont know.......as you say learning these things is all part of the enjoyment so best of luck.

And Fitchet likewise good luck,this is a cracking part of this forum in my opinion :thumbs:

• Like 2

I have pics but they won't upload . My mate introduced me to an older guy who used to be into the dogs and knew who I was so seemed to open up to me.hes always had birds and he's got two aviaries joined by 3 rows of breeders he's gave me lots of advice . I think the breeders are a nice way of gaurantee the exact pairs and really makes them concentrate on the breeding .but i think they do need more flying space or a flight in the non breeding season as they get much fitter and the way he does it they still can stay in overnight if the weather is bad.hes produced shit loads of birds this year .

• Like 1

lads not trying to sound like a expert,this is only my findings,but birds will breed better/easyer when they are kept over winter and settled in there routine rather than bought start of season,i always keep a few young for next year.atb and well done enjoy the birds.

• Like 2

welcome to the world of bird breeding :yes: pair best to best and hope for the best .and what a feeling u get when that little bit of fluff grows into a world beater . the best advice given to me by a top canary man was the birds know better than i do....... dont push them to early and if there not in condition your first round of eggs tend to be clear atb for next season fellas :victory:

don't let them go down too early sounds good advice,i never start too early and I don't use lights and do get a fair amount of young ,as for condition that comes from how they are looked after as you know,thats why I think it is better to breed from stock I have kept over winter and know whats gone into them ect, don't realy know why its been poor this year for some,have certain areas been better than others, :hmm:i for one don't do anything special just basic feeding and keep clean as poss.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Tuffty there fine still feeding each other and still fighting but no sign of breeding . I took the last of the eggs out of a pair off fifes and put them under my border whos a good mum shes hatched them out and everything else is in the flight but the pair of fifes have gone down this week in an old nest and laid 4 more eggs thats there 4th round! she threw 1st lot out hatched 2 lot but left them after a week and 3rd lot put under border so shes no outside filled with other birds around her dont hold much hope just let her go shes sitting hes feeding they could surprise me.oh and the egg eaters gone!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...