223 Poor Grouping

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Clearly your rifle is capable of grouping, that can be seen in the 25 and 75 yard groups, when it shoots to point of aim it is cloverleafing, fuc*ed rifles do NOT do that, however no matter how good y

Barrel cleaning? wots that?

Hi you will be far better off getting a lower mag scope with a better build quality than looking for a fandango objective size and high mag range. There are no or very fe

Posted Images

I would have at leasted a branded name on a scope regardless of being at the bottom of the market the Nikko's,hawkes and MTC are all pretty good for well under your budget and perform great on rimmies and shouldn't be a bother on a .223 if you are to consider.

I agree, if the group does not improve after taking the mod off, then its scope, if its the same with a proven scope, then the mounts are highly suspect, the sure fire way to check if its the rifle, without taking his hmr scope off, is to remove the scope and mounts from the rifle, clamp it securely(with gaffer tape if you have to) into that rest he is using,look down the bore, so its pointing at the board, put a sheet over the board, and shoot a group like that, if it groups then, you know its mounts/scope and not the rifle, I think this is the next step to try, if it groups no better with the mod removed.

Checked the mounts, that rear right one was almost a quarter turn slack. Tightened it. Off down the field in a bit. Factory ammo or homeloaded fmj? The only choice I have as haven't reloaded any soft points yet for the bloody thing, and won't be at this rate.

Those remington factory loads were useless in it though, no sense in the fact they shot all over the place.

Thanks

Use the fmj it seems to group with them, it is sounding like your mounts are the problem dude, they should not be slack after 6 rounds, take the damn thing off and clamp it, I bet it groups then :yes: it obviously does not like the Remingtons, no bother, you can find some it does like when its sorted, if you decide you want a new scope, get a Nikon prostaff 3-9x50, around £160 you simply cannot find better quality for the money, and for a lot more, if truth be told.

You wont go wrong with them dude, good price too, get yourself a Nikon off him too when you can afford it, trust me.He has got Nikon prostaff 3-9x40 in for £145 or 3-9x50 for £185 get the bdc bullet drop compensator reticule, my mate has S&B 8x56 on his rifle, I have a Nikon on mine, we really do struggle to tell the difference in clarity, guess what he bought for his .223 and .22 rf after seeing mine? Yep Nikon's :yes:

Edited by charlie caller

Use the fmj it seems to group with them, it is sounding like your mounts are the problem dude, they should not be slack after 6 rounds, take the damn thing off and clamp it, I bet it groups then :yes: it obviously does not like the Remingtons, no bother, you can find some it does like when its sorted, if you decide you want a new scope, get a Nikon prostaff 3-9x50, around £160 you simply cannot find better quality for the money, and for a lot more, if truth be told.

Let'sshoot

I have to agree with Charlie. Get the scope, mounts and Mod off. Clamp it or tape it to your rest and as I have said earlier and Charlie is saying, put a couple of rounds through it and it should be grouping and you should see the holes in the target when you look down the bore. Sheet of paper is good. If it shoots fine like that, put your Moderator back on, and so on until the problem re-appears.

P.s Something definately wrong with those mounts. You don't need me to tell you that though.

• Like 1

post-91791-0-61001800-1406121513.jpg

No mod, 4 shots, fmj's, rear right sope mount tightened between every shot. 2 rounds went ???somewhere???

The two red circles are from just now without mod - don't know where other 2 went.

2 round in yellow circle are yesterday's factory rounds, 2 x highlited red rounds are yesterday's factory ammo fliers.

Taken scope off at the minute, rear mount wasn't sitting straight from all the tightening I'm guessing. Hope it hasn't damaged my scope by pulling on it, twisting.

Do I have to clamp it? Am using the Predator Rest from a vehicle bonnet today as it's in the shade, but there's sheep sh$t all over the floor in the shade, don't fancy lying in it. I know it's not ideal as it doesn't sit quite right on the bonnet, but it's the best I can do today.

Will wait for your replies then see if there's anyway of doing it without clamping. Can't I just look along the top of the barrel (like a shotgun) and point towards a sheet?

Thanks

Ideally mate it needs clamping firmly, but if you can avoid moving it when you cycle the bolt you MIGHT get away with it, its worth a try, right so we know its not the mod now :thumbs: another possible fault eliminated, well done for sticking at it, I know it is fuc*ing frustrating, I think from what you are telling us your mounts are Donald ducked, I do hope so as this is the easy fix, go and give it a go pal and report back :yes:

Let'sShoot.

You are saying the rest doesn't quite sit right on the bonnet? Is there any chance from your point of view that it could be affecting your shots?

You shouldn't have to tighten the rear mount between every shot. If that is the case, then that is possibly a big cause of your problem. Take the sights and Moderator off all together. You need to be able to look down the bore at a point on a target, (not over the top like a shotgun). Looks like your targets and board is getting a bit full of holes. Are you in a position to change them, if not mark them so as you know where your next, and other shots, have hit. Make sure the rest is solid on the bonnet, suspension of the vehicle and so on can affect the POI. Fire a round and then look down your barrel. Fire another and let us know how you got on.

Sorry for repeating Charlie. You got your post up before me. No the quickest typer :)

P.s Im soooo gutted. Missed this Savage in Keens http://www.keenstackleonline.co.uk/images/products/shbss.jpg

I have. Shot two rounds, only one on the board.

Maktayla, tell me how to reinsert the bolt and cycle a bullet without moving a mm. It's impossible to judge where the rifle was during the last shot, in order to be sure of firing the next one from exactly the same spot.

It's not as easy as it seems.

Would be easiest thing in the world if I didn't have to put the bolt back in!!lol but then the bullet would obstruct my view.

Open sights is the way forward lol

Thanks all

Get some new mounts ordered mate, I will put several pints on them being the culprit, they should sit straight, and not need tightening between shots, they are fuc*ed, unless you can clamp the rifle down or get another scope on board, leave it alone now and wait for your mounts, if it was me, I would want to know, so would be getting the scope off the hmr, I will bet it groups, let us know what you do, I think we have found the problem though mate :thumbs:

Let'sShoot

Sorry mate, my fault. I forgot you can't clamp the whole rest and gun because of what your rest is on.. Apologies, every thing would need to be solid and it's not practical for you. As Charlie said, everything would need to be clamped tight. Pity you couldn't try those scopes and mounts off your HMR. You know they are fine. How much more recoil is there on your rifle compared to your HMR