Laguna Whippet?

Will be looking for a pup in the future something like a saluki whippet greyhound or even just a whippet greyhound but laguna whippet keeps coming up when I'm looking at pups, whats the big deal about this strain and could anyone say the parents a laguna??

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ive seen Laguna Whippets coursing and racing. They were very strong,fast and game. I met Mrs Bond Gunning when I dispatched a hare for her that her dog had just caught to win yet another course at an

It's sales talk for working whippets! Forget the names and get something from parents doing what you want.

It's just a whippet I suspect, I would've surprised if it was from the Laguna kennel. What's the prefix? Just go to the whippet archives and findout when the last Laguna bred dog was in the pedigree.

Posted Images

just sales talk laguna whippets are line hens teeth there are very few people that get there hand on them it seem that everyone with a laguna whippet in there dogs ped no matter how far back it is try to call them laguna whippets witch is not the case

are they any good i do not know as ive never seen one work but i hear the dogs now with the laguna prefix are not of the callibar as the ones that ran so well in the coursing field

robert

• Like 1

The laguna strain have bred champions at all levels over the years a feat that has not been repeated and never will . The country man's weekly last week has a very good article on them and statistically wise you were knacked if you drew up against them .few have got them or even seen one but yet sell on there name even though they only have a certain per cent age of the blood Which I think is out of order myself .

• Like 1

Most of the people who claim to have Laguna whippets have stuff bred by or down from Mike Brown, as his stuff has Laguna dogs behind it, although a few generations back now.

The actual Laguna kennel breeds one litter a year tops, and they are very capable little dogs, with the emphasis on little - they are very recognisable and don't look anything like MB's stuff, with the bitches typically 17" to 18.5" and dogs 18" to 19".

• Like 2

Ive seen Laguna Whippets coursing and racing. They were very strong,fast and game. I met Mrs Bond Gunning when I dispatched a hare for her that her dog had just caught to win yet another course at an organised meet in the Cotswolds.I found her to be a very modest person about the obvious abilities of her dogs that her mother was breeding before her. I remember her saying that she had stopped letting people have her dogs unless she had known them for at least a year or so because she was sick of seeing them being peddled in the C/Weekly.

A mate of mine had a Laguna dog that had a far better pedigree has far as Laguna strain went than Sooty sam and it was a fast game dog. No pure whippet could ever get near it racing and it was great on a lamp. Has far as I know he never used it at stud. I had lost touch when I came to breed my bitch so I used Sooty Sam. Some of the dogs in that litter were outstanding.

Im no Whippet expert but I was lucky enough to see some remarkable Whippet coursing from diffrent strains at official coursing meets before the Reds banned it. They are truly great dogs..Ive nothing but respect for them..Its a shame they fell into hands of peddlers and have no doubt been scatter bred badly has a result.

• Like 11

Ive seen Laguna Whippets coursing and racing. They were very strong,fast and game. I met Mrs Bond Gunning when I dispatched a hare for her that her dog had just caught to win yet another course at an organised meet in the Cotswolds.I found her to be a very modest person about the obvious abilities of her dogs that her mother was breeding before her. I remember her saying that she had stopped letting people have her dogs unless she had known them for at least a year or so because she was sick of seeing them being peddled in the C/Weekly.

A mate of mine had a Laguna dog that had a far better pedigree has far as Laguna strain went than Sooty sam and it was a fast game dog. No pure whippet could ever get near it racing and it was great on a lamp. Has far as I know he never used it at stud. I had lost touch when I came to breed my bitch so I used Sooty Sam. Some of the dogs in that litter were outstanding.

Im no Whippet expert but I was lucky enough to see some remarkable Whippet coursing from diffrent strains at official coursing meets before the Reds banned it. They are truly great dogs..Ive nothing but respect for them..Its a shame they fell into hands of peddlers and have no doubt been scatter bred badly has a result.

Excellent post

• Like 2

I believe much of the kennels success was due to Mrs Dorrit McKay. Just to put this in perspective for people she was breeding and coursing these dogs in the 60's 70's and 80's. The dogs you see being peddled in the last decade or so have very little Laguna blood. I think it's an insult to mrs McKay and Bond Gunning that people still sell pups using the name, just to line their pockets.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1367076/Dorrit-McKay.html

Edited by Sirius
  • Like 6

what was the bitch called??

I believe much of the kennels success was due to Mrs Dorrit McKay. Just to put this in perspective for people she was breeding and coursing these dogs in the 60's 70's and 80's. The dogs you see being peddled in the last decade or so have very little Laguna blood. I think it's an insult to mrs McKay and Bond Gunning that people still sell pups using the name, just to line their pockets.

Very good interesting link that. What I find hard to fathom though is that many people find it hard to accept the fact that big strong whippets have been around for many many years, and from quite a few different lines, they are not a relatively, as far as purebred whippets go, new thing

You are right there. I think mrs Bond Gunning is her daughter.

• Like 1

Some of the whippets I saw coursing were small,but never the less brilliant. I saw the Moon lake cup run and afterwards Gary or Garrett Kelly who was judging it on horseback came by and said he had never witnessed better coursing anywhere..There were a few more four letter words in his sentence but what an endorsement to the ability of whippets from a man who has seen the best Greyhounds from around the world time and again to be so excited by the performance of the little uns.

• Like 2

What about mick browns whippets? Any good and will his dogs have very little laguna whippet in them, I am just after something to work alongside my spaniel not sure what to go for in no rush, but there is so many crosses out there .... help lol