Are Bigger Heavier Whippets Better For Work????

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ummmm. . . . right, this is just my answer before anyone has a go.   I find that he takes knocks better, and he has had some serious knocks. Also he seems to have better stamina that some of the sma

As to"bigger ,heavier whippets " being better in the field , I don,t know , possibly , a more pertinent question would be , are bigger heavier whippets real whippets ? The relatively new phenomenon o

Funnily enough I was just out to the garden to build a catapult capable of firing both the lurcher and whippet at the nearest wall. . . . . .

Posted Images

thinking about whippet sizes............the breed is still a relatively new one and was made using racey terriers and small greyhounds, so i suppose its inevitable that we still have occasional taller greyhound throw backs too

could be onto something compo

As to"bigger ,heavier whippets " being better in the field , I don,t know , possibly , a more pertinent question would be , are bigger heavier whippets real whippets ?

The relatively new phenomenon of 22 and 23 " whippets , is symptomatic of added greyhound blood , whilst this may result in fine dogs who may well excel in the field , they don't have the whippets unique running style , the whippet temperament is also in danger of being lost ,

20"whippets are now considered to be on the small side , when this was the upper limit for cousing under rules .a sport in which the Laguna kennels excelled ,Yet the classified pages would have us believe that Laguna dogs start at 22 ".

the affix of laguna belonged to doritt mcayand lila bond gunning the toby dog just happened to carry some laguna blood .atb bunnys.

thinking about whippet sizes............the breed is still a relatively new one and was made using racey terriers and small greyhounds, so i suppose its inevitable that we still have occasional taller greyhound throw backs too

The breed is not at all a new one, it,s register with the KC is relitively new that,s all.

• Like 1

The breed is not at all a new one, it,s register with the KC is relitively new that,s all.
sorry for goin off topic but ..an honest question for ye loafer, or anyone that knows a bit on the subject of whippet history.... What is the earliest drawing or mention of a small rabbiting dog that fits the whippets description ? .

I do know that if you keep going back far enough back through the whippet archives in my dogs ped ther is a write up attatched to the ped of a champion whippet that describes him and goes on to mention that the dogs coat is smooth, not broken " just as a whippets coat should be". You have to wonder why the owner of that particular whippet about 100 years ago felt the need to stress the point that he had a smooth coat. Was there whippets at the time still carrying terrier like coats?

Whippets could be argued to have always existed and were just the smaller "greyhounds" as deerhounds were also once just greyhounds with rough coats..... I know that the type has existed a while and its just a relatively new breed for kc purposes..... But pre kc recognition other breeds could be bred in for speed, coat and to reduce size as such racey terriers and small greyhounds aren't that far away in the history of any whippet, and I stand by that when we breed to type we will get some throw backs to the greyhound ancestors that are obviously not that far away in our little running dogs.

sorry for goin off topic but ..an honest question for ye loafer, or anyone that knows a bit on the subject of whippet history.... What is the earliest drawing or mention of a small rabbiting dog that fits the whippets description ? .

I do know that if you keep going back far enough back through the whippet archives in my dogs ped ther is a write up attatched to the ped of a champion whippet that describes him and goes on to mention that the dogs coat is smooth, not broken " just as a whippets coat should be". You have to wonder why the owner of that particular whippet about 100 years ago felt the need to stress the point that he had a smooth coat. Was there whippets at the time still carrying terrier like coats?

i was reading a book written by brian plummer "lurcherman" i think it was called, a section on the whippet came up.back in the war times whippets had broken coats it was a rare for one to have smooth coats, even then whippets were ranging from 17-23 tts back then

• Like 1

The earliest written mention was 1413 in The Master of Game written by Edward Duke of York and the earliest art work was painted circa 1725 by Oudry. A lot of information on the whippet can be found in Walsh and Lowe's book; The English Whippet.

The earlier post by Astanley sums it up for me, a whippet is a totally different dog to a greyhound. Their running actions are totally different, their temperament's are completely different as well.

The larger whippet is neither one or the other and to me is more lurcherified; if that makes sense.

I once met a man at a OYCC meeting who had with him two whippets that he'd brought back from Canada with him. They were around 23-24 tts, he was telling me they were registered over there and the size of them was not unusual. I think the size of whippets is becoming excessive. I have had a greyhound bitch that only made 23 tts. Maybe I'm being a bit of a puritan but I think there's whippets, lurchers and greyhounds. Just pick one, obviously this is only my opinion.

• Like 1