Purpose Bred Bushers V Terriers

The one i have now is a small mixed breed type terrier no bigger than 12tts and as far as working cover she is much more suited to it than the other one i had and she is a lot more vocal as well, she is about 11 months now and she has already pegged a few in the cover so with a few more seasons under her belt she could become a useful dog. Her only drawback is she is a typical terrier and by that i mean she goes a little deaf now and then which can be a pain to say the least. I imagine something with a bit of spaniel or even collie would be a lot more easy when it comes to basic training ect. atb daywalker.

• Like 1

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

in my area there as always been bobbery packs due to the amount of bramble beds and rough inner-city land. some of these bramble beds are huge and from late 70s till mid 90s local lads relied on terr

seen some good pure terrier bushing dogs but the dropping in anit for me ruins the day for me the old pig sets are a pain in the arse terriers full steam ahead take a lot stick around the eyes nose

nail on the head mate ,we have a mix pack beagle x russell and beagle x cocker ,no bush un turned ,,lol     these 2 together will empty any patch of gorse ,small wood etc,,plenty of stamina and b

Posted Images

its what ever you'd rather you's really. me and my dad now would rather a cross for bushing as to a terrier because they're that much bigger and harder for them to slip to ground at every possible chance. this is our busher due to start this year. beagle x harrier father back to a paterdale bitch10557354_10204517685560751_6104179544430

Nice dog fella, like the size and shape, strong head.

well ballanced aint he. good little nose on him too

its what ever you'd rather you's really. me and my dad now would rather a cross for bushing as to a terrier because they're that much bigger and harder for them to slip to ground at every possible chance. this is our busher due to start this year. beagle x harrier father back to a paterdale bitch10557354_10204517685560751_6104179544430

you can see the Pat in that one lol wouldn't surprise me if you had to dig to it one day

i wouldnt like to see whats in that hole hes around 17"/18" tts. but yer he just looks like a pat

you can see the Pat in that one lol wouldn't surprise me if you had to dig to it one day

i wouldnt like to see whats in that hole hes around 17"/18" tts. but yer he just looks like a pat
yep it would have to be a tidy size hole but I've seen big uns get in , seen a big Beddy and even heard of hounds getting down, Well at least untill they get stuck ?

The purpose bred bushing dogs and spanials are a safer bet if you already have your running dogs and want to get a bushing dog to work with them as in my own exspierience some terriers i have brought up with the lurchers their kill drive has just made them want to follow the lurchers about hopeing to sink their teeth into some thing.

• Like 2

Tatsblister has a point, a lot does depend on which comes first, the running dog or the busher.

Last thing you want is a terrier running rabbits and a lurcher flushing them out. Or even the terrier running every bolter and allowing other rabbits to slip away or be missed.

I suppose when I was a kid we did so well with our little bobbery pack as I owned 2 lurchers, and the other two I hunted with had a spaniel and a terrier and the third 2 terriers..... Their dogs when with them alone only got near game by bushing and my lurchers by running and observing......when brought together the bushers bushed and the runners ran as that's all they knew

• Like 2

I gave up after rearing terriers with lurchers after two attemps as they were just not intrested in working deep cover when they knew the lurchers were about though my first spanial was totally different and clicked wat was required of her from a very early age.All the best bushing terriers i have seen have all been worked with other bushing terriers in their entering.

• Like 3

nice post lads with some good points keep it up my thoughts on the subject is i,d go for the tailor made busher every time theres nothing worse than having a terrier jumping up trying to get a piece of the lurchers catch does nothing for the lurchers retrieving and will end in tears more often than not i bushed with terriers for years and was happy with them i know use a pair of cockers and boy do they show up the short fall in the terriers

I gave up after rearing terriers with lurchers after two attemps as they were just not intrested in working deep cover when they knew the lurchers were about though my first spanial was totally different and clicked wat was required of her from a very early age.All the best bushing terriers i have seen have all been worked with other bushing terriers in their entering.

That's a very good point: dogs always learn much better and faster if they can copy other dogs, though I was lucky with my first bushing terriers as they had that dash of beagle in them which made them desperate to follow their noses wherever the game went. Subsequent generations have always followed their dam to begin with, though I have parted company with some that were too 'terrier' in their heads.

Any terriers I've had purely from digging stock have never been as tenacious in cover as my own 'line' which started with a little bitch who had bull and beagle in her as well as Russell, though you wouldn't have known it to look at her.

Mine pack pretty well too, and again, the purely earth dog stock I've had tend to go off on their own too much: their mindset is very different, or at least in my experience.

• Like 1

i like to work one spaniel type x they have the nose in the breding so dont need to have a adult to learn off just show them rabbits it dont take long to put 2 and 2 together let them be the lead dog so when you work a few and there all no how to hunt on there own :thumbs: just my way

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

in my area there as always been bobbery packs due to the amount of bramble beds and rough inner-city land. some of these bramble beds are huge and from late 70s till mid 90s

local lads relied on terriers which have always done the job. in the mid 90s we started getting beagles and griffons, some local lads think the hound crosses took bushing to another level, others still prefer terriers.

a pack out two-three times a week in winter will get 60-70 days hunting, this will break many dogs and make others. many, many terriers served for ten seasons, vary good dogs, above and below.

one quality terriers have that is under-rated is their independence, we put a dog in one end of a big bramble bed and don't want to see them again till they reach the other end. we have seen whippet crosses, collie types and spaniels constantly coming out of cover just to check up on their owners whereabouts

terriers are superb bramble and cover dogs, for their size their stamina is amazing, they have a independence to cross country by their selves and hunt and think for themselves. they spend half a day out of sight and have to be trusted to get on with it...which they do.

hounds are hunters, spaniels are flushers, terriers chase, once games afoot they gets their heads up and chase...they chase to get close to their quarry and that's why they catch more game in cover than spaniels or hounds.

small foot hounds have everything you could want, good build, good coats, mix well etc,

and they can hunt. like terriers they can cross country and hunt for themselves and they

have top work-rate.

last week my terrier and lurcher were feathering on a meadow, both good finders, after a minute they lost interest, along came the old beagle bitch, 12 years old, she went to the spot

were the others had feathered, struck off and was away baying on the line.

terriers and lurchers, both high head carriage dogs, often miss foot scent, even top finders will pass a line hounds will pick up on, this is what hounds bring to a bobbery pack,

there is a lot of bushing lads in my area, many are now keeping crossbreds over terriers

but this is partly because badgers moved in ten years ago and many now see terriers as a liability.

i think terriers are best if you work massive bramble because they chase threw cover, hounds hunt threw cover. for woodland, rough ground, bracken i like the bigger crossbreds

that can pick up on ground scent

kev-medlock crew

• Like 8