Purpose Bred Bushers V Terriers

In my experiance, it's horses for courses. Seen some terriers really come into their own, mainly in tight spots, brush piles etc. Also they often hunt at a more frantic pace.

However, they do often burn themselves out, don't tend to speak as well, or run a line as well, and more importantly for me, require the use of a shovel a hell of a lot more.

We've got a spaniel, a hound x and a couple of terriers here, and their different styles are noticable.

R.e - pushing game out too far with the hound x's. If we are doing small spots, bramble patches, etc, she can be worked close and responds well to a whistle. In a larger place, big woods and bigger quarry, she will happily work off on a line like a proper hound.

• Like 1

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

in my area there as always been bobbery packs due to the amount of bramble beds and rough inner-city land. some of these bramble beds are huge and from late 70s till mid 90s local lads relied on terr

seen some good pure terrier bushing dogs but the dropping in anit for me ruins the day for me the old pig sets are a pain in the arse terriers full steam ahead take a lot stick around the eyes nose

nail on the head mate ,we have a mix pack beagle x russell and beagle x cocker ,no bush un turned ,,lol     these 2 together will empty any patch of gorse ,small wood etc,,plenty of stamina and b

Posted Images

I have permission but still don't want a dog yapping and drawing attention,I also don't want it hunting too far ahead.

I've only owned terriers as bushers,but the spaniels I've been out with put more game up,were less prone to pretending to be deaf and never had any worry of them going to ground.

I'd be interested to hear their draw backs.

• Like 1

I have permission but still don't want a dog yapping and drawing attention,I also don't want it hunting too far ahead.

I've only owned terriers as bushers,but the spaniels I've been out with put more game up,were less prone to pretending to be deaf and never had any worry of them going to ground.

they run around like a headless chicken when put gear up miss gear need to slow down the drive is to high ive found add terrier thats what it does slows them down :thumbs:

• Like 4

they run around like a headless chicken when put gear up miss gear need to slow down the drive is to high ive found add terrier thats what it does slows them down :thumbs:

but as long as they're not feckin off too far and the lurcher's nearby too,does it matter if they miss it?

As long as the lurcher doesn't.

Just curious......when they still have terrier in the breeding do you find that they may still go to ground at all? Or do you use terriers in the breeding that aren't too driven in that direction.

Also, when you breed say spaniel to terrier first cross does anyone favour any particular terrier breed or spaniel breed or do you just tend to go for a dog that's doing the job?

its what ever you'd rather you's really. me and my dad now would rather a cross for bushing as to a terrier because they're that much bigger and harder for them to slip to ground at every possible chance. this is our busher due to start this year. beagle x harrier father back to a paterdale bitch10557354_10204517685560751_6104179544430

• Like 5

its what ever you'd rather you's really. me and my dad now would rather a cross for bushing as to a terrier because they're that much bigger and harder for them to slip to ground at every possible chance. this is our busher due to start this year. beagle x harrier father back to a paterdale bitch10557354_10204517685560751_6104179544430

you can see the Pat in that one lol wouldn't surprise me if you had to dig to it one day ?

Nice dog fella, like the size and shape, strong head.

Some of the bushers ive been out with are little farm yard bred jack russells of no particular breeding. The type you pick up on done deal. They are so far removed from anything thats seen ground work that the ones ive been out with usually dont drop to ground ( if they do you could call them out) arnt as indapendently minded as an earth dog so stick close when working, which suits me, and are yappy little fuckers by nature so will open up when up on a rabbit or fox in cover and are small enough to move through the tightest of brambles using the same runs as the rabbits use with relative ease. Im a believer in purpose bred dogs so it has taken me a while to swallow my pride and just admit some of the best days ive had out mooching with running dogs is when ive been out with lads with the little white yappers . Of course they are never going to have the same nose or stamina as a hound/spaniel or cocker but having said that, the ones i go out with dont miss much, they always let the running dogs know when their on and ive yet to see them ease off the work even after a few hours of hard cover. Im not saying every one should start scouring the pages of d deal for scrap being bred for the sake of being bred but i have to say it as ive seen it

• Like 3

Brenner there a we ankle biter that a pensioner owns across the street from me. he nailed a load rats about the place an he flat out in cover at the squirrals about the estate. I ge some laughs watching the oul granny trying to catch him :laugh:

• Like 2

Brenner there a we ankle biter that a pensioner owns across the street from me. he nailed a load rats about the place an he flat out in cover at the squirrals about the estate. I ge some laughs watching the oul granny trying to catch him :laugh:

I love seeing stuff like that. There is one in the village that keeps bringing rabbits back for it's owner.

• Like 1

Some of the bushers ive been out with are little farm yard bred jack russells of no particular breeding. The type you pick up on done deal. They are so far removed from anything thats seen ground work that the ones ive been out with usually dont drop to ground ( if they do you could call them out) arnt as indapendently minded as an earth dog so stick close when working, which suits me, and are yappy little fuckers by nature so will open up when up on a rabbit or fox in cover and are small enough to move through the tightest of brambles using the same runs as the rabbits use with relative ease. Im a believer in purpose bred dogs so it has taken me a while to swallow my pride and just admit some of the best days ive had out mooching with running dogs is when ive been out with lads with the little white yappers . Of course they are never going to have the same nose or stamina as a hound/spaniel or cocker but having said that, the ones i go out with dont miss much, they always let the running dogs know when their on and ive yet to see them ease off the work even after a few hours of hard cover. Im not saying every one should start scouring the pages of d deal for scrap being bred for the sake of being bred but i have to say it as ive seen it

That's exactly the type of jack Russell's I've worked....I call them lap dog jack Russell's........made for bushing

• Like 1