Purpose Bred Bushers V Terriers

Right lads just had a debate with pip on the phone, he wreckons terriers are just as good at bushing as a purpose bred dog ie beagle russel, beagle spaniel etc, I got some good mates that have used terriers for well over 20 years maybe 30yrs some of them, but they prefere the x's they just leave the terriers for dust. I have no doubt you get the odd freak like the dam to pips beagle russel but still they soon slow down when the x's are just getting warmed up, im not talking about mooching about im talking good hard long cold wet winter day etc. this is to the lads that work both regularly on plenty of land all season not the odd mooch about odd park or industriel estate....OPINIONS PLEASE

Edited by Bazil brush

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

in my area there as always been bobbery packs due to the amount of bramble beds and rough inner-city land. some of these bramble beds are huge and from late 70s till mid 90s local lads relied on terr

seen some good pure terrier bushing dogs but the dropping in anit for me ruins the day for me the old pig sets are a pain in the arse terriers full steam ahead take a lot stick around the eyes nose

nail on the head mate ,we have a mix pack beagle x russell and beagle x cocker ,no bush un turned ,,lol     these 2 together will empty any patch of gorse ,small wood etc,,plenty of stamina and b

Posted Images

If your talking about stamina then yes I would say a x bred spaniel or beagle would have more , although if your talking about catch rate I can't see if they'd be much of a difference according to the talent of the individual dog. My brother had a mongrel terrier that would catch in bramble after the spaniel x had smashed through and on to the next bit " to fast " was my brothers words were . She would creep in and you'd hear a squeak and out she'd come with a rabbit !

• Like 1

Terriers catch plenty of bunny in cover due to them being pritty mute compared to say a beagle x imo. But I dont want my busher to catch same as the lads I know we wont a run so want them to make as much noise as possible when they find to flush them into the open. Terriers have there place for mooching about small tight covers they'll catch plenty of bunnys.

Now I know your not a great fan of my dog but he is out a lot, aswell as a days ferreting / mooching we often beat on a shoot and he will go all day with the cockers / ESS, seven is the most drives we have done but that's down to waiting for the guns to finish there tipple, he does crash when we get home but until then has the stamina to go all day. Regards BM

Guest foxpack

we run a couple of terriers with our pack ,and although they do a bit of bushing they ca,nt keep up with the crosses .if your going up and down a few hedge rows day in day out ,terriers will do this all the time no problem.But you start doing big areas of gorse patches ,small woods etc,they tend to start running out of steam after a couple of hours .thats my view on it anyway.

Surely it all depends on the type of terrier and its mindset? I've run the same line for many years, and they'll go all day on shoots as well as mooching with the lurchers. As steady temperament is worth its weight in gold, and I've no time for the crash and burn type that run themselves silly, burning pointless energy too fast. A good busher is one that doesn't go everywhere flat out, but follows its nose calmly ... something that a lot of terriers cannot do as they are too typically 'terrier'.

Having said that, there is a small dash of Beagle way back in my line :laugh:

Good sensible debate for a change ;) . Isnt it strange how these x's are getting more popular people choosing them over terriers. I've seen good terriers bushing but they just lack that bit extra for me personally! When things start making ground they soon get left behind when the purpose bred dogs keep putting the presure on.

Edited by Bazil brush

yeah bazil I set my standards on the best terrier bitch I ever seen. entered cover when there was something in it, sounded off when it was on the move. best day she killed 9 rabbits in cover. prob more than some the champions in the lurcher section. when she went to ground you were digging no walk outs an you wernt digging rabbits. prob wouldn't suited the top terrier men but she put plenty them to shame

• Like 1

id rather have a steady terrier than something pushing game out a mile infront you

seen some good pure terrier bushing dogs but the dropping in anit for me ruins the day for me the old pig sets are a pain in the arse terriers full steam ahead take a lot stick around the eyes nose ive found working them everyday after 4/5 days they need a rest so the spainel x suits me for the rabbits bred the rough jacket in to take the winter and the black thorn my perfect x for me they listen but everyman needs dogs that suit them :thumbs: some pics lads

Edited by wi11ow
  • Like 8

this is an interesting topic, and we must consider terriers are earth dogs first and foremost and their natural instinct is to follow below ground.

Beagles, spaniels and x's between the two and a terrier are as a rule too big and not minded to go to ground, i see with the hunting act and an over abundance of badgers that a bigger dog will be worth its weight in gold purely for removing those complications.

I did know someone who had several jrt x beagles and they were rated very highly by some very experienced hunters, terrier and lurcher men.

I can see the beagle cross working better, if you have seen a beagle pack hunt they are very fast over the ground and noisey on a scent, best time i was following the beagles and they put a rabbit up in a small wood, that was so much fun as they went around and around......i had a cocker spaniel until she died this spring and she was a good busher, i can see a cross between the two being the best or the worst of both, better nose than a spaniel, better obedience than a beagle, voice like a beagle, stamina from both and hybrid vigour....a coat between the two so it doesnt need loads of work like a cocker does ......in the right doses i can see one or two of them being unbeatable for pushing everything out of cover.....and my spaniel would get into spaces that tight a ferret would struggle if there was a rabbit in there and she could smell it

• Like 5
Guest foxpack

this is an interesting topic, and we must consider terriers are earth dogs first and foremost and their natural instinct is to follow below ground.

Beagles, spaniels and x's between the two and a terrier are as a rule too big and not minded to go to ground, i see with the hunting act and an over abundance of badgers that a bigger dog will be worth its weight in gold purely for removing those complications.

I did know someone who had several jrt x beagles and they were rated very highly by some very experienced hunters, terrier and lurcher men.

I can see the beagle cross working better, if you have seen a beagle pack hunt they are very fast over the ground and noisey on a scent, best time i was following the beagles and they put a rabbit up in a small wood, that was so much fun as they went around and around......i had a cocker spaniel until she died this spring and she was a good busher, i can see a cross between the two being the best or the worst of both, better nose than a spaniel, better obedience than a beagle, voice like a beagle, stamina from both and hybrid vigour....a coat between the two so it doesnt need loads of work like a cocker does ......in the right doses i can see one or two of them being unbeatable for pushing everything out of cover.....and my spaniel would get into spaces that tight a ferret would struggle if there was a rabbit in there and she could smell it

nail on the head mate ,we have a mix pack beagle x russell and beagle x cocker ,no bush un turned ,,lol

DSCF1215_zps06be416d.jpg

these 2 together will empty any patch of gorse ,small wood etc,,plenty of stamina and bit of brain ,especially in the black n tan dog,with being beagle x cocker

• Like 5

Had terriers all my life but a friend changed to cockers I must admit I like um and no worries about dropping in but they can be abit quiet also found they can be keen on flushing deer too a couple of weeks ago was doing some pest control

Around some realease pens and had a good in depth chat with a decent keeper about spaniels he offered us his sprocker dog to use over a terrier of our choice only thing about purpose bred bushers is the day can become more about them than the lurchers also I've found with a gundog in tow keepers and landowners seem abit more at ease with you gives them some common ground to talk about ...

• Like 2