Bin telt u can giv ya dog ibuprofen to help my dogs toe as she has knocked it n its swelled up advice would be great no stupid comments

you maybe need an anti inflammatory, for pain relief give aspirin or if its bad Tramadol

metacam is good stuff, and approved for use for dogs. the name metacam is a brand of the drug meloxicam (just like neurofen is just a brand of ibuprofen) and there are cheaper generic versions available such as reumocam, just CHECK THE DOSE RATE!! as some are made for large livestock (cattle etc) and are much more concentrated

Really do check before giving dogs human medication.

Dogs have a different chemistry, some compounds are OK some are really not. Usually carnivores get intoxicated/damaged more easy by all kinds of chemicals that are tolerated well by omnivores (humans, pigs) and herbivores. The latter 2 are exposed to more different compounds in their diet and have more metabolic ways to deal with them.

L.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Calpol for children is safe and effective for dogs that info came from a vet to save me money instead of metacam

Well that vet needs to go back to vet school calpol is not an anti inflammatory ...........

Dont give Ibuprofen to dogs. Their systems cant cope with it and it can kill them. Go to a decent vet. Also be careful with giving Metacam to running dogs, for some reason they seem to be extremely sensitive to and I have known dogs that have had bad reactions and died. My vet wont prescribe Metacam for that reason.

give asprin top lamper i gave it to one of the bull crosses i run for the same problem you have cleared up no problem you need to give the correct dosage and not on an empty stomach speak to your vet about dosage hope this helps atb

Dont give Ibuprofen to dogs. Their systems cant cope with it and it can kill them. Go to a decent vet. Also be careful with giving Metacam to running dogs, for some reason they seem to be extremely sensitive to and I have known dogs that have had bad reactions and died. My vet wont prescribe Metacam for that reason.

I've used metacam on all sorts but the stuff I use has a different name I don't think I've ever had any problems using it on any sort of dog I think dogs having a bad reaction is probably an exception rather than rule but could be wrong of course. Atb

I agree be careful with metacam my spaniel almost died this year she passed blood for nearly 24hrs apparently it can react with the bowel lining causing bleeding my vet was not at all surprised and said she had seen it before.