Starting Ferrets Working

Get it chasing a rabbit skin first if that doesn't work try using a dead rabbit, get it worked up with it, drag it through lengths of pipe and have it chasing it. When you do start it off in real burrows stick to smaller sets to begin with where you can get it back easily enough if it's messing about.

Start off in small 2 3 holers with rabbits In. And build it up and up usually cotton on quick

But saying that it might be the reason you got a two years old ferret in the first place might be a non starter

• Like 1

You should have all summer before you start working it so i would treat it as a kit , feeding them on rabbit they know the smell and know it means food , then get it out in the garden going threw pipes practice putting a collar on and off him and getting him used to you moving about and picking him up and putting him down like you where at a burrow then when you do take him out theres nothing new to distract him . Then try to chase a rabbit or two down a small burrow so you know theres something in there then enter him .

But maybe thats the reason you got given him ?>

• Like 1

It took me a full season to get my big hob going, he was about 2 when I had him and had never worked. He didn't want to know for months but I liked him so kept persevering and taking him as a second ferret. When the Penny dropped it dropped and he is a cracking worker now.

i took my hob out just for a day out just to try him

the problem is/was he is from a rescue center so i don't know his history but he is even reluctant to eat raw meat

but as i said just took him out and i had a surprise he was straight down the rabbit hole and was gone he came out further down the bank walked along then went down another as if he has always been doing it

he was tried on a grass verge under some hedging this time with nets and to my surprise he actually bolted a rabbit straight into a net

so just keep trying him he will get the hang of it and maybe enjoy it