Badger Bill Of Durham - Border Terrier

lol - I don't have a stud - I have a bitch -if I have a litter to keep a pup on -I will look at a working border stud dog -as I want to work any pups..

Point making was KC registration and a MFH cert sire increase costs. Some like KC reg -some not bothered -up to individuals-I like working lines that are KC reg also.

Let's face it ,it's all about the £££ two posts into thread your already thinking of the coin

• Like 1

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A big pity, as it's not long ago that some of the best lads who knew how to work a terrier properly were Border men. But nowadays, with the odd exception, most Border owners are dreamers.

True, but at least it helps a bit to solve the puzzle as to why the border is struggling as a proper working type. Money men and dreamers, the ruination of any worker.

Are you saying that you'll be seeking a working cert from a MFH and that combined with the fact that your stud dog is KC registered it will rise the value of the pups ? Or have I misinterpreted your

lol - I don't have a stud - I have a bitch -if I have a litter to keep a pup on -I will look at a working border stud dog -as I want to work any pups..

Point making was KC registration and a MFH cert sire increase costs. Some like KC reg -some not bothered -up to individuals-I like working lines that are KC reg also.

And some would say you really just want to breed for the money....

I bred a litter of KC borders last yr, both parents work hard a bitch from xxPinkxx lines to my dog. I gave all the pups away apart from 1 which I sold as a pet for £150 which covered the cost of looking after the pups. Alot of the honest lads do the same its not about money its about keeping the working border going in my eyes anyway

• Like 4

I bred a litter of KC borders last yr, both parents work hard a bitch from xxPinkxx lines to my dog. I gave all the pups away apart from 1 which I sold as a pet for £150 which covered the cost of looking after the pups. Alot of the honest lads do the same its not about money its about keeping the working border going in my eyes anyway

Good on you mate

theres very few genuine border breeders out there these days that are only interested in work and the breed, theres plenty that think thats all there interested in and tell everybody and even have themselves fooled but usually thats all they have fooled is themselves :laugh: it certainly shows in the prices and amount of pups they churn

• Like 4

theres very few genuine border breeders out there these days that are only interested in work and the breed, theres plenty that think thats all there interested in and tell everybody and even have themselves fooled but usually thats all they have fooled is themselves :laugh: it certainly shows in the prices and amount of pups they churn

A big pity, as it's not long ago that some of the best lads who knew how to work a terrier properly were Border men.

But nowadays, with the odd exception, most Border owners are dreamers.

• Like 5

Working Certificates used to be signed by Master of Foxhounds to say that a terrier had worked with a hunt. I could be wrong but I think the terrier needed to work a couple of times and just what defines work done by a terrier ? Some terriers got certified for doing 5 minutes or standing back barking.

They've been controversial enough over the years. Some reckon that MFHs would issue them to anyone or just their mates. Some reckon they were a great way of boosting the value of the certified dogs pups or stud fee.

I think it's widely agreed now that they were highly sought after by those who rarely worked their terriers and need the Cert to boost ones ego and bank account.

JMHO.

• Like 3

I think the origional idea might of been to safeguard the breeds ability to work as it became popular as a show dog. It sounds a good idea to ease the conscience of people who are really breeding for looks and conformation alone but whos standards begins by saying the breed in essencially a working one. Has I said recently to someone on here why would i ask a huntsman to give me a certificate if not to use for bragging or gain. His hounds dont have certificates do they?

• Like 1

There was another type of certificate here in Ireland given to terriers (strong dogs and sounders) and the terrier had to pass a certain test in front of two judge and many spectators.

If your terrier was not up to the job (on that particular day) he was soon found out and there was no cert. Simple as that.

This much coveted cert did a lot to enhance the working ability of some breeds , especially the strong dogs.

Mind you, it did also help some lads make a lot of money from their dogs but such was the way back then.

The Certificate issued by the MFHs was however totally at the Masters discretion and there were no rules or test to be passed.

If someone turned up at a meet and asked to try their terrier and were allowed even though the terrier might do feck all a cert might be issued.

The terrierman for the same hunt might have a bandy legged russell he used for stopping 4 or 5 days a week that never got a cert (or any recognition of the Master) in it's life.

I think most terriermen know these days the value of a MFH working certificate.