Problem With Moderator Reflection With New Scope / Advice Please

Hi all :bye:

I have always been lead to believe that, when a scope is mounted on to a rifle, the front lens of the scope should be as close as possible to the barrel.

However, I have just replaced my 30mm tube, 50mm front lens scope for the new model vortex Diamondback HP SF 3-12X42 1'' tube and fitted it to medium 1 piece mounts.

Once mounted, I immediately noticed that I am now getting reflection off my SAK moderator, especially at lower magnifications.

I have even tried my old parker hale mod, which is only slightly thicker than my CZ Varmints bull barrel, but still the annoying reflection is present. It does however seem to disappear at the higher magnifications.

Both the sak and parker hale are covered by a non reflective cover, so glare is not the problem.

If anybody can suggest a solution for this problem, I am all ears, otherwise I will have no choice but to spend even more money and buy some high mounts to resolve this issue,

Regards,

John :hmm:

Vortex Diamondback HP : http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/diamondback_hp_riflescopes

Edited by mjr88

Have you tried a sun shade?

I was initially thinking it may well be a shine reflection. So was going to suggest black tape.

Thanks for the swift reply RemyBolt :thumbs:

I don't think that fitting a sun shade will help, basically because, when I remove the moderator the reflection disappears.

I hope to go out later today to do some zeroning with my new scope and .22 rimfire.

I'll fix the sunshade and see if it makes any difference,

John :hmm:

• 1 month later...

Best thing to do is find something the same circumference as ur lamp for my lamp which us a crelant 7g5cs I find a black gym drinks bottle that if cut will fit over my lamp perfect.

So I cut off the bottom about 1" up and then cut the bottom open but left a small section in the section left in stops the light shinning out and hitting the Sak mod.

For large lamps a lot If people do the same with flower potts the cheap thin plastic ones of course.

If u don't understand say and I will post pic it's the best way to do it.