How do you feel about the goverment having access to your text messages and calls, and why the sudden rush to push this through. Seems strange that they need this information in the name of national security, but over 100 hundred files suddenly dissapeared relating to a goverment paedophile ring. big brother tactics or what. :hmm:

they are rushing it through yes, but its not the right to snoop that's being rushed through as they already have those powers, its the right to continue using those powers until 2016 that's being rushed through before the summer recess

This rushed through law does not affect the work that is carried out by GCHQ... who can do wtf they like

although I agree GCHQ can do what they like if they gained intelligence from dubious practices it wouldn't stand up in a court of law , where they have to been seen to be playing by the rule book. I was speaking to a man from the MOD and he said was Snowden has set back intelligence years and put a lot of operatives in danger.
  • Like 1

He has... GCHQ, will look if they find anything then warrantys will be applied for....and while they cant use the original data, all other data will be admissable in court. Most of the early stuff they find is all via very cleaver software monitoring tools

Edited by Flipper_Al
  • Like 1

This rushed through law does not affect the work that is carried out by GCHQ... who can do wtf they like

Won't effect them... hmmm... so internet and phone companys had to store customer data previously did they? What would happen if a com's company deleted archived data which was later found to be of interest to the intelligence services? Before the Snowdon saga GCHQ would have just taken what they wanted, since then the public have become more concerned about who's watching them and are putting pressure on companys that hold such data to protect them from big brother. This law simply ensures that the intel' services still have that capability.

He has... GCHQ, will look if they find anything then warrantys will be applied for....and while they cant use the original data, all other data will be admissable in court. Most of the early stuff they find is all via very cleaver software monitoring tools

Spot on. If they were to come across something that couldn't be used in a court of law it could probably be used to find something else that could.

Spot on. If they were to come across something that couldn't be used in a court of law it could probably be used to find something else that could.

True, but irrelevant to the law in question. GCHQ/MI5 won't be able to find jack shit if the data has legally been destroyed. Which is the purpose of this law, to ensure the data is available to the intel' service for up to a year, which is considered an absolutely critical time frame for many top end police and security service operations. :thumbs:

although I agree GCHQ can do what they like if they gained intelligence from dubious practices it wouldn't stand up in a court of law , where they have to been seen to be playing by the rule book. I was speaking to a man from the MOD and he said was Snowden has set back intelligence years and put a lot of operatives in danger.

BALLS

Excuse my ignorance but....

This being from the Gov who couldn't be trusted with laptops and CDs holding very important and classified information?

So much for a "war on terror" when the Gov leave the key in the front door, blinds open and still leave the TV and lights on to scare away the burglars.

I have no faith in our gov and it actually scares me when things come down to our personal information being intruded on or to be sold to the highest bidder to line their own pockets.

I may be paranoid after my years of researching conspiracy theories but can anyone say there's not something sinister behind this? Please educate me if so ;)

White

Got to be abit of a twat if speaking by texts and upto anything anyway surely? Everyone knows even deleted texts can be restored. Doubt most are upto anything serious enough that the gov would want to have a nose. Terror suspects are no doubt under obbo and have phone calls and texts checked anyway I bet.

The question many will ask is, if you have nothing to hide then what's the problem? Not saying I agree with that theory though as no doubt we become more and more accepting that being spied on is the norm. Cash is already no good on public transport in london now. Not been any fuss over it or anything as everyone's slowly just got used to having an oyster anyway. How long until they do the same with paper money. Real large sums are moved digitally now anyway aren't they? Unless one of you knows where there's some worth while cash boxes lol