Dog Eating Rabbits

hi all i have a bull x lurcher bitch here she about 4 years old and is/was a real good rabbit bitch she wood bring back to hand not live but i that's not a prob but now she has started eating the bunny she picks up before i can get to her it doing my f##king head in im not out lamping the bitch or out its just she get the odd one when out walking her and she has munched the last 3 she has court also she will eat dead birds rats and bunny she fine's

any one get any ways of stopping her doing this

I had a Bullx dog which would catch as many rabbits as any little rabbiting dog at the start of a nite out but would struggle to catch any at the end of the nite because the bugger would eat them!!!! I got me self a treadmill and got me self fit to run and grab them before he ate them lol!!!

• Like 3

Yer the ones she court have been small witch was not worrying me to much but eating dead stuff that she fines is makeing me think it going to eat them when we start lamping full grown bunnys she did eat one full grown bunny but the lad I was out with ripped it in half geting it off her as I said she was alway abit hard mouthed but she wood give them up befor

Yer she had a litter about 2 months ago why you ask

that will be it then !

i would of never of thought this until you said it but it all makes sence now, id say dont take her anywhere where there are rabbits for a walk i know thats easyer said than done but i am sure she will be fine by the time you come to lamp her

atb

well thought kev u can tell ur a real dog man not just a man with a dog

• Like 1

Yer she had a litter about 2 months ago why you ask

that will be it then !

i would of never of thought this until you said it but it all makes sence now, id say dont take her anywhere where there are rabbits for a walk i know thats easyer said than done but i am sure she will be fine by the time you come to lamp her

atb

well thought kev u can tell ur a real dog man not just a man with a dog

Lol maybe one day whitefeet i will be ;) atvb

Thinking about it..... to solve the problem you have to walk a bit of a tight rope.

Before I continue I'd also like to add taking advice off the net isn't always the best option because the person giving the advice isn't able to see the whole situation. ......if that makes sense.

Personally if I was faced with the same issue I'd keep the bitch on a lead for a few weeks around rabbits when out on exercise. No rabbits means no eating.

Then after a walk I'd have a dead rabbit handy to do a bit of retrieving. In the garden or confined space so she can't make off with it.

This is the tight rope bit . Let her mouth it but the second she starts to eat it chastise her. I'm not advocating hitting her . A simple growl would work for mine but you may have to be firmer.

Just my way at looking at your problem. I wouldn't say don't worry about it and go lamping. Test the dog in a controlled environment because you'll have no chance in a big field if she decided to take off and enjoy her catch