just goes to show that people are still be told by feo's with some of theyre stupid ideas what they can and cannot do...what chance do some of us have when cooerced into what theyre preference is.

Thing is mate they rely on the premise that we have to ask what they will allow like a school child well that is not the case I am licensed to hold firearms I know what I need to do the job they will grant it or come up with a very good reason not to allow it, when I put in a variation it is not a negotiation this is what I want not what some pen pusher believes I should have.that being said I have a very good relationship with the firearms dept and that probably explains why they allow me some of the other toys I have in the cabinet :thumbs:

• Like 4

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Time to change that .243 CC you know it makes sense I love mine sako 75 action, handlapped select match grade shilen barrel in 1 in 13 1/2" to optimise the 85gr bullets,honed and polished trigger and

Get the .243 mate as Danw says you wont be dissapointed,the .22-250 is a superb round too, but then of course you are restricted to the small deer as well, Alsone, a .243 will pass through deer mate,

Thing is mate they rely on the premise that we have to ask what they will allow like a school child well that is not the case I am licensed to hold firearms I know what I need to do the job they will

The .243 admittedly is a capable round (designed as a varmint round) BUT IMO the 6.5x 55 is better, just read the opinions of many on the Stalking Directory it's a hot topic but as I say arguably the best UK deer calibre around, low recoil and high bullet coefficient.

Below taken from the web

Because 6.5 mm (.264") bullets have relatively high ballistic coefficients, the 6.5×55mm has seen success in long range target matches of 300 m (328 yd) 1,000 m (1,094 yd). The 6.5×55mm cartridge was widely used in biathlon competition until 1975. The 6.5×55mm was and is used for 1,000 yd (914.4 m) target shooting disciplines like F class. Check out Chuck Hawks views on the 6.5 he seems to know a thing or two.

I have mine open for fox and deer,

At the end if the day get what you want but do consider the 6.5 before making your decision.

I wonder just how many deer Mr hawks has put on the floor this month or even year :hmm:

I'm sure your happy with the 6.5 seeker but lets face it any one who is worried about how their chosen deer calibre is going to perform at 1000yds needs give their head a shake, pushing tiny holes in paper as you so aptly provide evidence for is clearly the 6.5's forte it is however very different the needs of those grassing deer :whistling:

• Like 2

http://www.6mmbr.com/243win.html

Have a look here before making a decision, this guy knows his stuff :thumbs: oh and dont bother with the turnip swede, unless you are going to reload, ask any one who owns one, factory (possibly with the exception of Hornady) is shi*e.

More tosh from someone who obviously knows nothing of the modern 6.5x55.

There is excellent factory ammunition available, my preference being Norma and Federal.

From an owner (for the past 15 years) who has probably used it to shoot more deer with than you will ever see!

I wonder just how many deer Mr hawks has put on the floor this month or even year :hmm:

I'm sure your happy with the 6.5 seeker but lets face it any one who is worried about how their chosen deer calibre is going to perform at 1000yds needs give their head a shake, pushing tiny holes in paper as you so aptly provide evidence for is clearly the 6.5's forte it is however very different the needs of those grassing deer :whistling:

I completely agree with you target shooting has little relivance in the capabilities of taking deer although most deerstalkers already will know the capabilities of the calibre.The point was made to show the excellent qualities in terms of accuracy of the round and the fact it had been selected as a long range competition rifle is supports this.

I met a yank whilst over in the states and we were discussing deer calibres as well as various other calibres, when I asked if he owned a .243 he said "nah... It's a girls gun" :whistling::laugh:

http://www.6mmbr.com/243win.html

Have a look here before making a decision, this guy knows his stuff :thumbs: oh and dont bother with the turnip swede, unless you are going to reload, ask any one who owns one, factory (possibly with the exception of Hornady) is shi*e.

More tosh from someone who obviously knows nothing of the modern 6.5x55.

There is excellent factory ammunition available, my preference being Norma and Federal.

From an owner (for the past 15 years) who has probably used it to shoot more deer with than you will ever see!

You obviously have not read the article, as unless I am pretty much mistaken he never mentions the turnip swede, it does always worry me slightly when people get so defensive about what is basically a tool to do a job :laugh: and having never met me, I think saying more deer than I have ever seen is rather a sweeping statement! :icon_eek: Come on come clean, I bet you have never shot a deer have you? I bet you are one of those bores that likes to stand at the end of the bar in his moleskins and tell people how many deer he has shot, hoping to be bought a pint or two.

Hey Seeker I will try and find the link to the New Zealand deer culler I had, that says of all the calibres he has owned the 6.5 is the one he has had most runners with, in fact I do remember an accomplished stalker on SD saying not too long back that whenever a client turned up with a turnip swede, he said we wont need the argo today, the client asked why? Well they always run right back to the road themselves :yes:

I don't profess to have shot the numbers of the more experienced stalkers with a 6.5 but I can't say the deer I shot with my Swede ran any more frequently than with any other calibre I've shot with or witnessed.

Home loaded 140gn Sierra soft points I used the vast majority of the time.

It is one rifle I regret parting with ;)

On a serious note, for every single calibre out there you will get for and against comments, at the end of the day it is more important to feel confident in the rifle and ammunition, if you are, you will shoot well with it, they will all kill deer, and everyone has a favourite, Dan mate, do your research, and whatever you get, make sure it fits and feels comfortable, find the ammunition it likes and make sure you have a ready supply, or even better start reloading, get a .243, .25-06 ,.6.5x55 ,.270 .308 point it in the right place, the deer will fall down, :yes: enjoy.

On a serious note, for every single calibre out there you will get for and against comments, at the end of the day it is more important to feel confident in the rifle and ammunition, if you are, you will shoot well with it, they will all kill deer, and everyone has a favourite, Dan mate, do your research, and whatever you get, make sure it fits and feels comfortable, find the ammunition it likes and make sure you have a ready supply, or even better start reloading, get a.25-06 point it in the right place, the deer will fall down, :yes: enjoy.

edited :thumbs: you know it makes sense :laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Like 1

Flippen ek...6 pages and still going...

.243 is an excellent and versatile calibre for fox and deer with the variety of ammo available.

Start there and you will find out for yourself if it works for you!

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker

On a serious note, for every single calibre out there you will get for and against comments, at the end of the day it is more important to feel confident in the rifle and ammunition, if you are, you will shoot well with it, they will all kill deer, and everyone has a favourite, Dan mate, do your research, and whatever you get, make sure it fits and feels comfortable, find the ammunition it likes and make sure you have a ready supply, or even better start reloading, get a.25-06 point it in the right place, the deer will fall down, :yes: enjoy.

edited :thumbs: you know it makes sense :laugh::laugh::laugh:

You are correct sir, it makes very good sense, the .25-06 death ray is all he will ever need and more :yes:

• Like 1