Vihtavuori N140 In A .223

I have acquired a 1kg container of N140. On the Vihtavuori website it states that N140 is suitable for the .223, but the only data I can find is for 60g bullets and above. The rifle I use is a Thompson Center Contender G2 single shot with a one in fourteen twist. Would a one in fourteen stabilise 60g and over bullets? Has anybody got data for a 50-55g bullet using n140? or should I sell it and get some IMR 4198?

The reason their is little data for N140 and 223 is simply because this powder is not suited to the popular weights of bullets used in this calibre - if you were to search for good powders for the 308 and 30-06 using 160 gr bullets then the N140 will be prominent. You will be lucky to find a powder to drive a 224 bullet over 55gr in a 1 in 14 tube.

Your best bet is to swap/buy a powder like N133 and load something around 50 or 55 gr bullets with it. If possible stick to the European powders as there is uncertainty about when American powders will get back onto our shelves - not so with powders like Vihtavuori

With a little knowledge on reloading it is possible to get N133 and a 50gr bullet to perform well.

(tried to post a photo of a .127" group with a .223 but unable to do so)

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

My Tikka .223 fitted with a Wildcat Predator 8 and  1 in12 twist produces extremely accurate clover leaf groups  @100 mtrs using 25 grns of Vihtavuori N140 and 55 grn Nosler ballistic tip bullets with CCI primers, OAL set at  74mm

Zero.jpg

Edited by Sound Moderator
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 16/06/2018 at 23:10, Sound Moderator said:

My Tikka .223 fitted with a Wildcat Predator 8 and  1 in12 twist produces extremely accurate clover leaf groups  @100 mtrs using 25 grns of Vihtavuori N140 and 55 grn Nosler ballistic tip bullets with CCI primers, OAL set at  74mm

Zero.jpg

Now that just goes to show you! Firstly federal will tell you that a twist rate of 1 in 12 won't stabilise a 55g nosler ballistic tip then N140 is not designed for lighter 223 rounds. Then you prove both wrong!!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...