Biking Dogs! What Speed / Distance ?

Been biking my two dogs (lab n spaniel) for last few weeks every other day etc.

Just yesterday I got one of those little computers that measures your speed (£7 at Aldi) and was wondering what sort of speed to aim for ?

Also what kind of distances are best and how many days a week ?

Thanks ?

A good steady trotting speed in this weather, and providing the dogs are young and healthy, around 3-5 miles a day, but not in the heat! Stick to very early morning. Evening isn't very good as the ground is still releasing warmth until late at night at this time of year. Dogs should be panting lightly, but not heavily. Tongues should be normal coloured: not dark red or bright red and hanging out a mile. If you must go out in the heat then only do so if there is plenty of water for the dogs to immerse themselves in at least twice during the exercise, and cool down before kennelling: walk the last mile back home if they are panting hard.

• Like 5

as said it is warm at the min so if your are going to do it do it at dawn or dusk.

when i am conditioning the runners before the season (after they have had a few weeks complete rest,) i take them to the bone mad for a check over than start of with just a couple of miles on the bike at 7-8mph to condition their feet and muscles for a couple of weeks making sure i give them a good rub down when i've finished. After that i start to do a longer distance and do intervals, just using lamp posts or trees as a guide making sure i walk them for 5 minutes at the start and end to warm up/cool down- again making sure they get a good rub down afterwards.

I always give them one day off completely just giving them a short road walk to empty themselves. once i'm happy with their condition i start some bushing/free running to improve their fitness and get them sharper. After a couple of weeks of that when the ground is soft enough i start them lamping/ferreting etc, they should the hold their condition throughout the season. i only use the bike again if the ground gets frozen. Obviously a good diet is also important. i feed gain with chicken/duck mince and beef with keepers mix added 2/3 times per week. i also give a joint supplement when doing road work.

Everybody will have their own opinion but this is what has worked for me and i am always open to suggestion to improve this.

atb

Alex

• Like 4

as said it is warm at the min so if your are going to do it do it at dawn or dusk.

when i am conditioning the runners before the season (after they have had a few weeks complete rest,) i take them to the bone mad for a check over than start of with just a couple of miles on the bike at 7-8mph to condition their feet and muscles for a couple of weeks making sure i give them a good rub down when i've finished. After that i start to do a longer distance and do intervals, just using lamp posts or trees as a guide making sure i walk them for 5 minutes at the start and end to warm up/cool down- again making sure they get a good rub down afterwards.

I always give them one day off completely just giving them a short road walk to empty themselves. once i'm happy with their condition i start some bushing/free running to improve their fitness and get them sharper. After a couple of weeks of that when the ground is soft enough i start them lamping/ferreting etc, they should the hold their condition throughout the season. i only use the bike again if the ground gets frozen. Obviously a good diet is also important. i feed gain with chicken/duck mince and beef with keepers mix added 2/3 times per week. i also give a joint supplement when doing road work.

Everybody will have their own opinion but this is what has worked for me and i am always open to suggestion to improve this.

atb

Alex

very good sensible post :thumbs:

Just started with my 10 month old pup about 9pm when it cools off just a few times a week I am just scooting along with one foot. Gets him at a steady trot, good for him to get used to trotting past people and other dogs without getting all silly..

Will start to increase speed and distance in good time when I feel he is ready for more...which to be honest is now but I don't want to risk overdoing a young dog.

• Like 1

When i do bike exercise with my dogs, i do the 1st half mile at a steady walking pace just to warm them up, then i will cycle along at a steady 10mph(i have a speedo) every so often i start peddling faster so the dogs have to sprint to keep up with me, then slow back down to 10mph, i do this throughout the 5 miles with a steady walking pace again for the last half mile, a 5 minute rub down when we get back to the van, i only do this every 2nd day.

Only you can tell how fit your dogs are so just take it nice and steady. With me its just about steady walking them at the side of the bike but some distance. Then a few bursts picking up there paces in between when letting them free run on some soft ground.

• Like 2

Get them trotting up on their toes at their own natural pace, used to trot my dogs at around 6 mph non stop for 5 miles or mixed it up with a bit of free running on some grass fields with a few hedgeside rabbits to add a bit of interest, 3 or 4 times a week, other days give them beach exercise/long country walks

5 mile 2 or 3 times a week between 8 and 10mph each dogs different just try keep them under cantering :thumbs:

Out of interest, why no cantering? I give mine bursts of galloping (on the grass verge mostly) once they're fit enough.

Ball chasing with a ball thrower too.

Edited by Maximus Ferret
  • Like 1