Marking Dog?

What is a marking dog is it used to mark were game is or the dens and bedding Ares I have never heard of one if it finding dens I would like to know how you would bring one up could come in hande for trapping season

A marking dog is basically that,it will hunt up and mark where the quarry is at,below ground,in a wall,up a tree etc.It saves entering a dog or ferret into an un-occupied location,thus saving time and trouble netting up etc.A good marking dog is an essential part of the days hunting,for some,it saves so much time that could be better utilised more fruitfully.The easiest way to train them is starting young and following a more experienced dogs example,otherwise its just a case of getting them out and giving them guidance.Not all mutts make reliable markers,especially if they are pushed by the owner,nothing worse than a false marker.

• Like 1

OK that what I was thinking the thing I was try to find out was do you have to find the den then turn the dog losses or do you let the dog out and they find it on there Owen do they go by smell or sight

The dog should be loose hunting for it's quarry I can watch my dog and his body language tells me what I need to know and then it's up to the ferret to prove the dog is bang on