Any good tips on getting the silver skin off? Do you soak the rabbit in salt water at all? Is so, for how long? If not, why not?

I usually sit them in saltwater overnight, then put in clean water, boil for 2+ hours, take meat off the bone, then make a curry or stew. Trouble is, the smell of them boiling puts me off eating the darn thing!! Also before the boiling malarkey, there just seems to be so much silver skin, it actually turns my stomach.

Any top tips greatly appreciated, I'm sure there are better ways to enjoy rabbit than the way I attempt it.

I read somewhere about rabbit + chorizo burgers, sounds good if I could get past the silver skin - don't fancy that in my burgers. I have a mincer.

Also are there any flavours in particular which work very well with rabbit? Any particular herb/spices/flavours I should concentrate on?

Thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...

Depends if it's a stringy old buck or or not. For the most part soaking isn't really necessary and if it is it's probably better off as dog/ferret food anyway. Any slow cooked recipe will do but try to either add some fat ie bacon lardons and maybe something sweet like apricots. Rabbit casseroled in cider, apricots and cream is fool proof. BBQ wise do yourself a cavor and stick to the tender ones - basically if it balls, smells funky and is it's a f****r to skin.... Dont BBQ it! As for silver skin, ignore it, if it's skinned properly in the first place there's not much more you can do.

Edited by Yokel Matt

I had rabbit chasseur last nigth. 3/4 rabbit 2 chopped red onions packet of colemans chicken chassuer and 3/4 pint water. Pop in oven for and hour and half served with mash and runners. Every thing from the garden or field apart from the colemans :laugh:

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I tried one I made up and pretty good I marinated it on the bone in kokomo its a tropical alcohol drink simalier to Malibu but a lot cheaper out of home bargains I used half the bottle and had a good drink with the other steeped it all night in a tub with some water then drained and seasoned it salt plenty black pepper some coriander or what ever you have wrapped it in a whole packet of smoked bacon tin foiled in oven gas no6 for 30 min then down to no1 for hour and a half it was very tasty jock

• Like 1