Question to all the hl pesties out there. I have a bumble bee nest in my loft space, its not somewhere i can access to deal with. I have seen them going in under the soffits to access the nest / hive whatever its called. they are bumble bees with a tiny white patch on the arse, never seen them before..... i can hear them in the loft space, almost sound like a nest of youn birds till you hit the ceiling then they are most certainly bees !!. do i need to get rid of them???, are they gonna cause any problems.what the f**k is the white arse patch variety ????................. or is it ok to leave them alone as they are causing me no harm personnally?? sensible advice please.and ( that excludes stabba and delswall)................i'll have to cut a hole in the ceiling if i have to get rid of them......................... lets have your thoughts and SENSIBLE advice please

Many thanks peeps

B

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unclepesta how many bumbles you seen produce honey

Tree Bumblebees mate, here's a link for info. http://bumblebeeconservation.org/images/uploads/Tree_bee_article.pdf

and as an aside to all the legalities of controlling them....................... the tree bumbles that i have decidede to leave alone as they are causing me no harm have decided to repay me it seems,

Bumble bees are great, and we need to give them all the help they can get. They'll be gone by autumn anyway, leaving only the new queen who will have left the nest earlier on to hibernate over winter. We have loads of bumble bee nests around our garden, often in old sheds and in the ground. They never aggressively defend their nests unless you really disturb them, and I often sit and watch them coming and going from their nests from only a couple of feet away. The dogs have never been stung by them either, unless they are stupid enough to try and bite them.

• Like 2

from a pest control point of view bees are not protected..

however..

if you treat with insecticide you risk contaminating honey... the honey then becomes a risk if accessed by the honey bee.. as humans eat the honey..

you could face fines ect if proven that some neigbour or local hives honey stock has been contaminated due to carbates and such entering the food chain due to negligent treatments.its a tough call.

to reduce this risk you must close access to the treated section and seal to ensure no future access can be gained.. chimney stacks are a classic and airbricks.... you must take into account bees travel well in wall cavitys.. they can really be persistent at finding ways in.

removal of honey and nest with a deep clean and sanitze of the area is required to remove reinfestation risk plus sealing up..

whatever you do do it right or you will just get more bees year after year building more and more deeper into the fabric of the propertys cavity..

the good thing about bombus is i dont see massive honey bee style swarms or numbers but like i said there honey and nest pheremones will attract attention of other bees seeking food and fresh habitation for there new queens.

shame you cant remove the sofit for a deeper look there maybe way to persuade them to move.

bee friendly where you can.

as you first say they are not bothering you so the only risk i see is future honey bees sniffing round so keep an eye on it.

Unclepesta how many bumbles you seen produce honey

not honey as the honey bee does but a darker type in smaller quantitys.. most do. the honey bee then take the bumbles stored food nectars ect then transfers but thanks for the question.. did you not think they did?

I had one under the shed last year, no problem. This year they decided they would get out of the weather and came into the shed. That was a no no I could not have a nest right next to where I would be working so it had to go. Took a few photos before the nest was moved. Are these the balls of pollen?7

bumblebeesnest002_zpsa9c6009c.jpg

bumblebeesnest003_zps9c014c43.jpg

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 1

1.bombus is slightly different than most bumble bees we know.. they produce a larger colony lets say upto ten times larger than your normal 30 to 40 bee nest.

2. these bumbles dont place larva with the feed they feed then by seperate cell so a harvest would be possible on a smaller scale..

3.honey is nectar ask yogi