Acceptable Ways To Kill A Rabbit!

Never mastered chinning, always stretched their necks and I don't have to take them from the net either. Not a properly made net anyway.

Get someone to show you how to chin.... :thumbs:

You'll never look back fella :yes:

Chinning or Chopping if you do it right they're both effective imo.

Have to agree with you there Johnny, "if you do it right they're both effective" :thumbs: . But, the margin for error with a chop is far greater than chinning or stretching for obvious reasons. And for that reason alone I would not recommend anyone chopping a rabbit.

TC

Margin for error? C'mon Al real life isn't NVQ Level 5:2a despatch of wild animals mun. :D

I try and put in another way then, can you hit a bouncing rabbit consistently with a rabbit chop without looking like an idiot? = margin of error! :laugh:

TC

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So it'll be netted ,broken neck then slug through the heed ??

Pleased to hear folk being educted as to the correct and most humane ways to dispatch a rabbit,...   As hunters, we owe it to our quarry,.whatever it may be,.little or large,...to end its life, as q

I would have asked him if all his other meat he used was halal free meat

I've tried them all and a stun to the head stops movement the quickest, that or chinning. Necking can cause problems with nets and I don't think it's right to have a couple of goes at the old Karate chop business :icon_eek:.

I find that chinning as necking does, sometimes causes trauma/bruising to the shoulder area, where as the priest limits this.

Any way I will give chinning more of a go as people seem sure about the method.

Cheers, never to old to learn :laugh:.

Any rabbit that has it's neck dislocated will have bruising to the neck and top of the shoulders, that is true. But, balanced against the quick demise personally I think it is a small price to pay. That said, using the method I described it is usually the top end of the neck that gets bruised and a sharp knife sorts that out.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 1

Tiercel, "too many variables to be consistent" what do you mean by that?

As has be stated since I made the post. To hit a rabbit on the head with a priest the head has to be free, no hands etc, as the head is free to move and you have a living animal being held down it is going to struggle and move. not conducive to hitting it sweetly and cleanly to effect a kill with one blow every time.

When you chin a rabbit if done correctly it will be dead instantaneously. To do this correctly is not difficult look at a skeleton of a rabbit and just below the skull on the last vertebrae on the neck you will see that two vertebrae are wider than the rest place your thumb and index finger between those vertebrae and the skull, place you other hand on the rabbits chin. As you push up on the rabbits chin squeeze with the other hand to hold the larger vertebrae in place, what happens then is the back of the skull nests in the crook between your thumb and index finger and acts as a leaver and because you are holding the large vertebrae with your thumb and index finger it breaks the join between the spine and the skull quicker allowing for an instant death of the rabbit.

When it is done correctly you only need to push the rabbits head up a couple of inches to make the break. I have seen videos of people pushing the head back till it nearly meets the spine, that is not the way to do it. It would be a good idea to practice on shot rabbits first, but it really is not that difficult.

TC

you sound like albert pierpoint there. :laugh:

• Like 1

I have to kill rabbits on a daily basis in private and in full view of the general public and chining or stretching the neck whilst the rabbit is in the net is the quickest cleanest and most humane way in my opinion ... It is fast as you don't need to remove the rabbit from the net so the deed is done quickly with minimum stress to the rabbit .. You can't miss chin or stretch but you can miss the strike from a chop and if anybody is watching this gives us all a bad name .........

• Like 1

I have to kill rabbits on a daily basis in private and in full view of the general public and chining or stretching the neck whilst the rabbit is in the net is the quickest cleanest and most humane way in my opinion ... It is fast as you don't need to remove the rabbit from the net so the deed is done quickly with minimum stress to the rabbit .. You can't miss chin or stretch but you can miss the strike from a chop and if anybody is watching this gives us all a bad name .........

I remember the day you showed me mate.........................No looking back now

I don't think it's been brought up yet but I personally found it easier taking a dead rabbit out of a long net and struggling with a live one.

Pleased to hear folk being educted as to the correct and most humane ways to dispatch a rabbit,...

As hunters, we owe it to our quarry,.whatever it may be,.little or large,...to end its life, as quickly as possible..

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 7

I use the old rock in a sock. . . . couple of whacks or three and its good night mister coney.

Also much easier than my first method of choice, which was paving slab dropped from a great height, very efficient, but a bit of a hassle carrying the step ladder around all day.

• Like 4

In this day and age, surely the best method is the one that doesn't actually appear to involve any violence such as swinging, bashing, chopping etc, which is why necking and chinning are the only ways I'll use, quite apart from being the quickest and the least likely to fail. The average member of the public doesn't even realise what you're doing if you neck a rabbit quickly. They just think it is being held. Also, if it does start kicking once its dead, you still have hold of it until the kicking stops, so people don't see a rabbit flopping about on the ground and think it is still alive.

• Like 1

No one has clarified that trying to neck a rabbit in the net can be hindered by the net not allowing enough stretch.

Also like to repeat what I mentioned before that a rabbit despatched by the priest, in my experience tends to have less nerve movement, kicking etc.

And to be quite honest I don't really care for public whilst I'm ferreting.

Edited by leegreen

No one has clarified that trying to neck a rabbit in the net can be hindered by the net not allowing enough stretch.

Also like to repeat what I mentioned before that a rabbit despatched by the priest, in my experience tends to have less nerve movement, kicking etc.

Chinning a rabbit correctly takes hardly any movement at all. I have yet to find a rabbit that it cannot be done on in any net, no matter how well balled up they are.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 4

It can be awkward Lee,..but if you persevere with the task,..you will become real slick...and as Tiercel has commented,..don't go too mad at the job,..and bust the meshes of the net,... It can happen if one is over -zealous and I have witnessed a few strong handed men, literally tear a net apart.... :laugh:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 2