Acceptable Ways To Kill A Rabbit!

Id have explained to him the lack of logic in his rational.Leegreen using a priest on a netted bunny,why?,a little education in how easy and practicable it is to neck or chin a netted rabbit may be needed.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So it'll be netted ,broken neck then slug through the heed ??

Pleased to hear folk being educted as to the correct and most humane ways to dispatch a rabbit,...   As hunters, we owe it to our quarry,.whatever it may be,.little or large,...to end its life, as q

I would have asked him if all his other meat he used was halal free meat

Far from the same result,chin or neck,instant death,cosh,especially a struggling target,cosh again,blood snot and tears all over the webs,chin or neck is clean and efficient.It takes a relative short amount of time,if educated,to dispatch a bunny in a humane manner,the only way it should be undertaken.

• Like 3

has kids first starting out we went out with a mates dad and we were shown and passed any netted / caught rabbits to neck/chin till we both had mastered it only then was he allowed to go on his own but i would never use a priest like morton said better and cleaner to neck a bunny but its surprising how many cant neck a bunny [ more so shooters for some reason and i mean some not all ] saw one bloke doing a fecking karate chop on one :icon_eek: after only pricking it with the second barrel

Edited by blackmaggie

Tiercel, "too many variables to be consistent" what do you mean by that?

As has be stated since I made the post. To hit a rabbit on the head with a priest the head has to be free, no hands etc, as the head is free to move and you have a living animal being held down it is going to struggle and move. not conducive to hitting it sweetly and cleanly to effect a kill with one blow every time.

When you chin a rabbit if done correctly it will be dead instantaneously. To do this correctly is not difficult look at a skeleton of a rabbit and just below the skull on the last vertebrae on the neck you will see that two vertebrae are wider than the rest place your thumb and index finger between those vertebrae and the skull, place you other hand on the rabbits chin. As you push up on the rabbits chin squeeze with the other hand to hold the larger vertebrae in place, what happens then is the back of the skull nests in the crook between your thumb and index finger and acts as a leaver and because you are holding the large vertebrae with your thumb and index finger it breaks the join between the spine and the skull quicker allowing for an instant death of the rabbit.

When it is done correctly you only need to push the rabbits head up a couple of inches to make the break. I have seen videos of people pushing the head back till it nearly meets the spine, that is not the way to do it. It would be a good idea to practice on shot rabbits first, but it really is not that difficult.

TC

• Like 3

Fantastic post TC :thumbs:

I hate to see people trying to karate chop bunnies...... I'm also not fond of watching folks trying to untangle coneys in nets so that they can give them a stretch.....

Chinning is the way :yes:

As for priests; I'd rather see them used than the dreaded Kung Fu Karate chop :yes:

:icon_redface::icon_redface: used too take them out of the net myself.

A day out with a member off here changed my opinion and method. chinning is much quicker and cleaner . Just goes to show Your never too old to learn something new

• Like 1

I hate to see people trying to karate chop bunnies...... I'm also not fond of watching folks trying to untangle coneys in nets so that they can give them a stretch.....

As for priests; I'd rather see them used than the dreaded Kung Fu Karate chop :yes:

Never mastered chinning, always stretched their necks and I don't have to take them from the net either. Not a properly made net anyway.

Never mastered chinning, always stretched their necks and I don't have to take them from the net either. Not a properly made net anyway.

Get someone to show you how to chin.... :thumbs:

You'll never look back fella :yes:

I watched a mate do it, still not the foggiest, LOL. I can neck a rabbit in a second, never felt the need to practice chinning. I'm probably missing a trick but equally I can stretch a rabbits neck with one hand, ya can't chin one one handed. LOL

Someone with your brain power should not find any difficulty in following the mechanics of the above post. The reason stretching works is because when holding the back legs and you pull the neck, the body is fixed allowing leverage on the base of the skull. Same principle is employed chinning only you use the last vertebrae in the neck and the skull for the leverage.

TC

Edited by tiercel

Chinning or Chopping if you do it right they're both effective imo.

• Like 1