Irish Game Fair At Shanes Castle, Co Antrim, Saturday 28Th And Sunday 29Th June 14

The Irish Game Fair and Flavour Fine Food Festival

Shanes Castle, Co Antrim was the venue for The Irish Game Fair and Flavour Fine Food Festival on Saturday the 28th June and Sunday 29th 14.

Set in one of the most glorious, yet easy accessible regions of Ireland, this Castle and its beautiful surroundings, played host last weekend to the biggest ever Game Fair, and crowd attendance held in Ireland. Blessed with continous sunshine on both days, and complimented with a swirling breeze coming in from the north-east shores of Lough Neagh, Shanes Castle was the place to be last weekend.

It was here in the vale of the Green Glens of Antrim, thousands of Country Sportsmen and women, visitors, and families, from north and south of the border and further afield came to view the challenges for the sporting elite, and to partake in the many areas of Country sports.

Whether you are an expierenced Country Sports enthusiast interested in trying something new , or an out of town visitor eager to try your hand at something totally different, the Game Fair provided a vast array of sporting interests. This was run with and under the guidance of people who are passionate about Country Sports. What a memorable weekend we had at this ruined Castle.

Thursday morning seen the Press launch of the Game Fair, carried out by Director of the Great Game Fairs Of Ireland Mr Albertj Titterington, in the presence of the Mayor of Antrim , Co Directors, The Northern Ireland Tourist board, The Angling community, Terrier/Lurcher /Whippet fraternity, and a host of enthusiasts from the world of Country Sports.

What I have looked forward to all year, arrived early on Saturday morning, and heralded the start of the Great Game Fair of Ireland at Shanes Castle. The fair at Shanes Castle has already had a long established excellent track record, being Northern Irelands premier country sports event, but this year surpassed all of what had come before.

The Directors and team behind the Great Game Fairs of Ireland, has a history of delivering successful quality events, and this year was no exception. There were many more trade stands this year, and all of top quality. A brilliant range of international class competitions, a full programme of Showing and Racing for Terrier, Lurcher, and Whippet people, including the prestigous Master Mc Grath and 5 Nations Whippet Championships, all with an international prize fund to back them up. Amusements for our little people, and many more events too many to mention.

John and myself started Saturday morning off, with some retail therapy. We went straight into the Game Fair, and strolled around at our leisure visiting the many stands , ice cream vans, spoke to some friends along the way , and had a peep into the beer tent. Our first stop was at the Fine Food Marquee, and over to Emmett Mc Courts stand. The smell of fine food was definitely flowing in the air. There was crowds around Emmetts stand, all trying to get a sample of his fine cooking. It was nice to meet up with you again Emmett. A real master in your profession.

We made our yearly pilgrimage to Charlie Keenans stand, then “Outdoor Experience”, Portadown, and had some friendly banter with owner Richard Cadell. We strolled at our leisure along the stands and stopped off at, Glen Dohertys stand. Glen, an avid huntsman and show supporter, sells Ferrett boxes/dog houses, dog trailers, hunting tools, and lures, and all at very reasonable prices. Then unto Stephen Smith at the Barbour stand. I love this man dearly. He not only has a great stand of quality clothing, but a huge personality to go with it and so welcoming. I stopped off at Antrim community net work, Solmatix Solar Panels, and Basil Thompsons “Nuts about Pets,” Country Sports Ireland, and hundreds more stands to many to mention. All very interesting and informative.

As our legs got weary, and age beginning to show, our money all spent, we headed back down towards the car, and bearing in mind not to miss the “The Master Mc Grath” and a great days racing ahead. We packed away all the many bargains we had acquired from the stands in the heart of this brilliant Game Fair, as my husband John bought enough Shirts and Dog leads to do him a lifetime.

After a great days excitement on Saturday, Sunday morning arrived very quick upon us. After buying the Game Fair out on Saturday, the big occasion for us on Sunday was the dog Show. Cars, Vans and Trailers came in droves, Canine folk with their families and dogs in tow, and had the parking areas filled to capacity in no time.

The highlight of the day for me on Sunday, was the Ferrett Racing and Showing competitions, along with the pony/trap, and lamping display. All of these events were carried out and organised by Darren Moore, Graham Fyffe, and Stephen Mc Gonigle. I lost my voice shouting for these little Ferretts to win their race, setting aside that I am scared out of my wits of them. I have never seen grown men and women, and children, having so much clean fun at this competition, and all down on their bellies on the ground, looking up the racing pipes and trying to persuade these little creatures to win for them. I can honestly say this was the best audience participation I have seen in a long time. What a display of Sportmanship, carried out so efficiently by all three. A special thank you Darren/Graham and Stephen for your magnificent work, and look forward to seeing the Ferrets, at shows very soon again.

It was so nice to meet so many regular show goers, and also to meet some new people. Paul Pringle, Editor of Irish Country Sports and Country Life Magazine was there in all his glory. What a real gentleman and a very good friend. I had a nice wee chat again this year with Catherine Lawton, daughter of the late Philip Lawton, Co Director of the Great Game Fairs of Ireland. Our meeting this year was a happier one, as time is a great healer, but Catherine will never forget the memories and love of a loving father who passed away this time last year.

Doing my usual trips around the race track and show rings, the first person I met up with, was keen huntsman, Mark O Neill and his brother Joe, who travelled from the deep south of Ireland, and their first time at Shanes Castle. By speaking to both men, it was clear to see they were really enjoying their first time at Shanes Castle.

Kevin Mallon and his partner Charlie, beautiful little girl Aoife, and of course Stig, Kevins winning whippet, travelled from England to be at Shanes Castle . What a lovely little family. Concepta O Goan and her family from Strabane , came over to have a chat with me. Concepta is a person in a million, with a heart of gold. Another proud lady I spoke to at Shanes Castle was Tricha Donagh, wife of Jed Donagh. Jed supports all our shows and Gamefairs up and down the country, and is a regular winner, with his winning Terrier and Lurchers and hunts in winter. Its always a pleasure to meet up with Jed and Tricha.

A big Congratulations to the Master Mc Grath:

Winner: Gary Smith with Bono

Reserve
Michael Quinn with Mocharra

And also a Big Congratulations to :

Winner of the 5 Nations Champion Whippet

Graham Fyffe with Bolt

Reserve : Davy Best with Penny.

(Full set of Results will be displayed seperately shortly.)

And finally may I take this opportunity to thank the Judges, Lurchers /Darren Gallagher, Terriers/J Gilfillan, Whippets/PJ Walker, 5 Nations/ Felicity Thompson,and Ferrett Judge, for a job well done. Judging is not always an easy job, but you carried out your duties, with fairness and integrity.

Many thanks to Kieran Young , Racing and Showing Director at Shanes Castle, and his back up team of helpers for job carried out 100%. Kieran, you and your team are a credit to Country Sports and may you continue in this roll for many years to come.

Deidre Mc Coy/ Derek Laverty/ and Billy Harpur was there with their cameras, recording our every moment of glory. Looking forward to see these up on the forums shortly.

And Finally, Finally, major investment over the years by the Great Game Fairs of Ireland team has seen its Fairs at Shanes Castle and Birr Castle developed to a stage where they are unchallenged in the domination of their sector within the Irish Market place. The Game Fair at Shanes Castle has impeccable credentials, and annually attracts more than 30,000 people to the region, this year being the biggest, delivering a timely boost to tourism and an opportunity for town and country to come together to celebrate and enjoy the craic, along with some of our finest Country Sports and traditions.

None of this would be possible without the man of the moment and his brilliant back up team. Yes Albertj Titterington , it is you I am writing about. You are definitely the” King of the Castle,” and in a league of your own. What can I say to describe a kind family man, thoughtful and generous , has reared a family, and has given his life to Country Sports and all the good causes that goes with it. Your life has been enriched with the excellent work and enjoyment you give to many families across the country, young and old through your Game Fairs. At the end of the Summer season, when winter draws in upon us and the hunting season begins, you give us so much to talk about, around our roaring coal fires, with the snow outside hitting of the window pain.Such happy memories to look back on. You are our Rock in the Country Sports world, and long may you continue. “Simply the Best”

Behind every good man is a good woman. And Irene you fit this category with gold medals and flying colours. What would Albertj do without you.

Many thanks Albert, Irene, Co Directors, and your back up team for a very enjoyable and memorable weekend at Shanes Castle, full of joy and excitement, lovely atmosphere, and above all a great window for Country Sports in Ireland and further afield. Its an honour to be able to call you both our friends. Thanks for everything.

And now, next on our list is Birr and new this year Montalto.

See you all there

Margaret Mc Stay

Edited by appleblossom
  • Like 3

Margaret a lovely writeup of the best weekend ever, it was a long weekend,i love Shanes Castle Game Fair and the Lurcher, Terrier & Whippet Racing & Showing, i had a brilliant 2 days with great company, now looking forward to Birr...

719ff2b6-1a58-4582-9a42-315a3ebdda8f_zps

The ferret Showing & Racing which was one of the highlights of the weekend...

6e37bf2f-7969-4503-a378-b4201d0fd06f_zps

514176c4-2e37-4d75-9f19-99316d9ccad6_zps

• Like 1

Margaret as usual a super write up, and although you give credit to everybody else in your write ups i would also like to say that i always enjoy a days banter with yourself and John. These venues are a great day out but the people like yourself and the big man make them a day to remember no matter what the results are. Enjoyed meeting up with the usual suspects and meeting some new people and of course enjoyed the wins i had with my own dogs. The ferrets were a great laugh for spectators and competitors alike and both myself and Darren really enjoyed running it again this year. We had made a few changes that seemed to go down well and we got prizes that anyone would be proud to have.Ferrets are regarded by many as smelly vicious little animals that want to bite everything in sight so its good to show the public the true ferret .I rate a good ferret as highly as a good dog and its great to see these valiant wee battlers get a bit more recognition and bring smiles to peoples faces.Who knows ,we may get you to race one or show one next year :yes::toast:

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...