Ferrets As Pets/workers

I am interested in getting some ferrets. They have always fascinated me, and I think they are wonderful creatures.

Just looking for some advice really! I would like to work my ferrets (have access to land) but if not I am quite happy for them to be pets.

I know alot of people keep groups of ferrets or at least pairs, is this best for them? I would ideally like two.

Better kept inside or outside? I currently live with my Nan, and although she would let me have them I dont think she would let them live indoors. Is this an issue?

What's the best to feed them on? I feed my dogs raw meat, and ideally would like to feed the ferrets raw too, is there anything else I would need to consider food wise for them?

Any advice or tips would be great!

Got 2 hobs (males) and if try put them together they just fight especially if breeding season so best off keeping them apart i reckon, as for indoors you can litter train them but they still stink and leave a musk on anything they touch like the sofa and to be honest so long as youve got blankets or some insulation in the hut they are meant to live outdoors its more natural just make sure they have shelter as they overheat easily. ive known people to keep jills together so long as their brought up together from the same litter but you have the problem of either getting them injected once a year or breeding them as they can die if not mated when in heat.

as for pets mine are two good workers yet when the nephews over their no bother if put them out in the garden just make sure you handle them regularly or they can start nipping.

diet, ive heard not to feed them pork as it can kill them, they love raw eggs but too many make them bald for some reason so stick to raw chicken, turkey or rabbit or just shop bought biscuits

Definitely outside animals imo. The cold weather isn't a problem to ferrets at all as long as they have somewhere dry to sleep. The hot weather is more a danger but its just a matter of putting the hutch in a shady spot. I like to feed rabbit pigeon corvid squirrel etc but if I cant get any of these Ill use chicken wings. As long as you've done your homework theyre easy animals to keep.

I think i would like two jills ideally. I am thinking a hutch with two floors and lots of shelter but space for them may be my best bet.

As for the diet my dogs have a varied diet so would be no issue for the ferrets. easily get beef, lamb, chicken, turkey, duck rabbit, heart, offal etc. I think after doing nutrition at college I would prefer to raw feed rather than dry food.

Where is the best place for me to source ferrets from?

I am interested in getting some ferrets. They have always fascinated me, and I think they are wonderful creatures.

Just looking for some advice really! I would like to work my ferrets (have access to land) but if not I am quite happy for them to be pets.

I know alot of people keep groups of ferrets or at least pairs, is this best for them? I would ideally like two.

Better kept inside or outside? I currently live with my Nan, and although she would let me have them I dont think she would let them live indoors. Is this an issue?

What's the best to feed them on? I feed my dogs raw meat, and ideally would like to feed the ferrets raw too, is there anything else I would need to consider food wise for them?

Any advice or tips would be great!

1) I have a pair, only as I have only enough room and can afford to keep two. However if you have more space and can finance more, then go for as many as you can actually take care of. Maybe start with 2?

Mine seem to enjoy each other's company as I'm not able to be with them 24/7 and even when I do, they enjoy playing as a pair and watching their characteristics bounce off each other.

2) I keep mine outdoors but in a sheltered area of my garden: out of direct sunlight and covered from any strong gusts of wind or rain. All in consideration to keep them in the best of health and comfort.

They also have a large area outside to run and play, basically a kids sized play pen full of toys to keep them occupied and not cooped up.

As for keeping them indoors, I'd keep them in a well aired room and if they're to be out of a cage, I'd keep it child proof as anything there is to nibble on or make a mess, they will. They also smell, naturally, so I wouldn't have them in the living-room, dining room or kitchen for hygiene.

3) I feed mine raw food as fresh and as often as I can, as you would with your dogs. I also have dry food at hand too, to keep them going once the fresh meat has been finished and also top up any dietary needs they may be missing or help maintain good health. There's a few brands out there, all offer good features but I wouldn't use it as a strict diet but as an extra with the meat.

Advice and tips) I have a few pipes and cat toys that have the bells in to occupy them in the play area, the love them.

Plenty of bones or try antlers for them to gnaw on, good as a boredom breaker and diets.

Although they may smell and mess, keep them topped up with fresh bedding and their house clean as this time of year, it's not unusual for maggots to appear when feeding them fresh meat.

Consider getting them chipped if you're going to take them out, as a safety net if they went missing and flea/parasite checked at your vets too, only avoid any illnesses and health conditions they can cause.

Can't think of anything else at the moment. Don't take all the above so serious though, it's fun owning these cuties but it's good to take care of them too :D

White

Thanks for the replies. I am in the middle of building a large two tier hutch for them and they will have access to the garden area too. I am aware that jills stay in season yes. I still think two jills is the better option as i have heard in alot of cases the hobs fighting. Think i will definitely stick to feeding raw meats, I can get plenty of variety for them, I imagine i follow the same sort of diet as the dogs? 80% meat, 10%offal and 10% bone?

If putting hutch straight onto grass make sure you have a base on hutch as the little buggers will dig their way out! My Jill is an expert at this we have a run that just sits on the grass and she will dig her way out in no time...

If putting hutch straight onto grass make sure you have a base on hutch as the little buggers will dig their way out! My Jill is an expert at this we have a run that just sits on the grass and she will dig her way out in no time...

the hutch will be on concrete, having a separate run i will put them in and take them out of. they wont have access to it freely.