I have had a go at making a Olsen & Thompson style fly trap (chapter 9 "More trap making step by step" John Bryan). In case anyone is intrested I used a large clear plastic beaker, with a mesh side vent, as the catch chamber. The wire mesh I got by cutting up a wire sieve - okay in the end but tricky to make a funnel out of as oddly elastic.

Anyway, I think it sorta works as it seems to be able to catch lots of tiny fruit flies. Even if they can eventually squirm through the mesh vent. The problem is I was hoping for house flies, there are always some in the kitchen. I have been using pickle juice, vinegar and sugar as suggested for house flies in chapter 9. I have been able to regularly look at the trap today but they seem to be paying it no attention at all. Can anyone suggest a bait that would attract house flies and that the feminine members of the household would fine acceptable indoors?